Dual monitors

matty_boy

I just got a dual head video card. I will never go back. I can't. This absoloutely rules. Now I know what all you people were talking about.

Just wondering..I don't much about dual monitors

What are you able to split on each monitor? Can you display the mixer from sonar in one and view all the tracks and stuff on the other? I don't get it...

What kind of card is it?

You can drag any window that isn't maximized anywhere. The desktop spans both monitors. Once you maximize, the window just takes up one screen. You could have your music program on one, and all of your effects windows (or mixer, or whatever) on another. It really clears up the clutter on your screen. For example this is what I am looking at:
heaven.jpg

btw, I'm not sure what kind of card it is. I got it free from our tech at work. XP had the driver for it, so I'm happy.:D

WELCOME HOME TO THE LAND OF MULTIPLE MONITORS WHERE I REMAIN THE KING !!!!

I have 3 monitors on my DAW. 2 apple 21 inchers side by side that I span Cubase VST across both, and a 17 incher that has SoundDiver on it at all times.

I will never go back.

I'm actually about to update my video cards. I'm going to put another Apple 21incher on my setup, but I need to upgrade the video cards.

I'm gonna yank out the cards now, and put 2 MATROX G550 32MB DDR 4x AGP- OEM cards $99.99 www.newegg.com

Each card has 2 outputs on them. 1 vga and 1 dvi. get a dvi-vga converter and each card has 2 vga ports !!!

So I will remain the king for now I suppose.

3-21" apple vga monitors side by side, and a 17incher off to the side.

All of the peasants may bow down now.

LOL, I'm just kidding about the peasant thing......kinda ;)

But it's gonna be tight. 4 monitors

Mike

PS, any questions about display settings, ect, Just Holla

Last edited:
What if I want to get a kickass ati 256mb video card or somtin to use then I can get some extra $100 cards for more monitors?

You would have to ask someone smarter than me. If you are just doing audio, I don't know that you need a really kickass vid card. If you are gaming and stuff too, I guess it would be a good idea though.

I was thinking of getting Flight Sim. 2004 to play around with. I saw on their site it has some thing on it able to use 2 screens.

BTW, I looked it up. I have an Appian Graphics Jeronimo Pro. I Guess it is kinda old, but it works fine for me (for free). It sounds like anppilot1 (previously posted in this thread) has two vid cards, so I guess yoy can do it.

Matty

anppilot1 said:
PS, any questions about display settings, ect, Just Holla

Okay I've got a question...

I have a Matrox G450, and I'm running two monitors... my main one at 1280x1024, and my slightly smaller one at 1024x768. However, I get this strange transparent horizontal bar that runs upward on one and downward on the other monitor over and over.

If I decrease the smaller monitor's resolution to 800x600 it gets slightly better, but there are still some issues. It's done this with several monitors I've hooked up to it. Any idea on what's causing this?

I'm running an Athlon XP 2100+, 512mb, with winxp.

Sounds like the monitors are interfering with eachother. Does it get less when you move the monitors apart? If so, it will be a matter of poor shielding.

by God you're right!

I moved them apart and with about a foot and a half between them the bar was gone...

So is there some kind of crude DIY shielding job I can do on these babies to remedy this?

thanks for the suggestion btw..

trogdor said:
So is there some kind of crude DIY shielding job I can do on these babies to remedy this?

thanks for the suggestion btw..
You're welcome. I wouldn't really know about a DIY like that but it's good to hear you've found the cause of the problem.

Y I K E S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your right !!!! I have no clue how the hell i forgot about my board not having 2 agp slots....DUH. Open mouth insert foot :)

Well, I went back to the drawing board.

Well, it looks like I might do a Matrox G200. It is a 4 output video card...pci

trogdor,

check the refresh rate on the monitors, make sure that they are both set to the same rate. That should minimise the interference.

Re: Y I K E S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anppilot1 said:
Well, it looks like I might do a Matrox G200. It is a 4 output video card...pci
As long as you get the right G200. They come in all kinds of flavour (I've used a G200 AGP 'singlehead' for years myself). I have a dual G400 AGP now. Two analog outputs, so no need for a dvi-converter.
Anyway, Matrox cards combine well, You can also go for a dual AGP + a dual PCI.

Back