Dual Monitors Query

richthirst

Hey,

Just set up my PC with two monitors under Win 98 and found a problem when the two monitors were right next to each other that they encouraged each other to scroll and flicker (They are both CRT)

Now I've got about 20cm gap between them they're fine. I'm guessing this is down to the electromagnetics of each monitor fooling with the other. The two monitors I have are an IBM P50 15" Trinitron and a cheapy Hansol 14" - I'm also guessing it's the cheapy thats mucking things up.

So, in the same way that nearfield monitors can be made magnetically shielded, is there something vaguely safe (apart from a sheet of lead) that I can put between the two to stop this happening.

What are other people's experiences with two monitors in close proximity? Is it just me?

Thanks in advance,
Rich.

The best way to handle this, I've found, is to set the refresh rate of your primary monitor wherever you want it. Usually at 75 to 85hz. Then, adjust the refresh rate of your secondary monitor until flickering disappears. If the flickering is minimized but doesn't disappear, move the monitors away from eachother until it does. Right now I'm looking at a 19" monitor and there's a little 15" about 4" away from it...no flicker. I had to take the smaller monitor down to like 60hz though, but that's ok.

Slackmaster 2000

Speaking of dual monitors, I have been wondering about this and I saw this thread, so please excuse the intrusion...

I am interested in getting another monitor into my set-up. Can you guys steer me in the right direction re: what kind of card I need, about how much they cost, pros, cons, etc.?

I'd appreciate it.

Brad

Kinda depends really. Do you have a free PCI slot that isn't going to muck with anything (e.g. not sharing an IRQ with something more important, like your soundcard)?

I have a dual monitor setup both at home and at work. In both cases all I did was throw in a cheap old video card. I think at home I'm using an S3 Trio64 and at work maybe a Trident. Anyways, they're both just little 2MB 2D PCI video cards. I've only done this with win2k, but it was easier than heck...basically no real setup other than plugging the card in and setting up my display properties.

If you want a single video card that can power two monitors, Matrox makes the most popular dual head cards. I've read good & bad things about them, but have never used one personally.

Slackmaster 2000

Hey Brad,

Depends on your system.

If you're on the PC running Windows 98 (or higher) and it's reasonably well specced (ie. has a good AGP card in already) you can just grab a half decent PCI graphics card and another monitor and get up and running pretty quickly. You get a nice 'if you can read this message, then you can use this screen' when you first boot up windows after installing it :)

If however you're Mac based you'll probably want to look at a 'dual head' graphics card (two monitor ports out), Matrox make a couple of them - as to how good they are with Macs I don't know (I get my first ever Mac next week, only a Performa 6400 but nice to fiddle with and absolutely free...)

Advantages are many, Cubase spread over two monitors - can see the arrangement, mixer, effects all in one 'eyeball' so to speak.

Thanks guys.

I know I have a free PCI slot - I don't know about IRQ's - I have only poked around with the BIOS a few times (I am computer illiterate) I will ask the dude who built my computer... So you guys are telling me that if my IRQ settings are good to go, I can just use two video cards? I thought I would need a dual head.

That is cool, I think. I am going to do it - the prices on montiors these days are just too hard to pass up.

Brad

Free IRQ's aren't an issue with PCI cards. I have had 4 devices sharing a single IRQ with no problems whatsoever. The PCI spec allows for IRQ sharing.

IRQ sharing is one of the prime causes of audio problems on a DAW...hence some care does have to be taken when positioning PCI devices.

Slackmaster 2000

True, but when the IRQ being shared isn't the one used by the sound card, there is not an issue. I have never run into the problems people talk about in here with droupouts, etc by using IRQ sharing.

If however you're Mac based you'll probably want to look at a 'dual head' graphics card

Actually, I wouldn't do that. the nice thing about the mac system is that you can just keep putting in extra graphics cards to add monitors. The OS adjusts automatic if you put in multiple graphic cards. Offcourse a dualhead will be better etc, but it will costs you much more. i have Protools running with a standard graphic card of the G4 and an extra voodoo2000 to run a second monitor.

giaschel said:
I personally use one and recommend it strongly. It's not cheap though.
Thats a nice card. AND it's not that expensive (only $150.00 US).

I have been interested in adding a 2nd monitor to my system, for quite some time.

I just did not know what I needed. :(

So, all I need to get is a monitor and a video card???

How would the computer know to send which program to which monitor?

For instance, Sonar on one screen, while Sound Forge is on the other?

:D Somebody, please explain this to me. :)

spin

p.s. If you don't see that I've posted back here later on today, then just drop me a line (to come over here to this thread) in the Sonic Foundry Forum.

Thank you all very much. ;)

spin

Hey,

Your system will have a primary adapter / monitor where by default all your programs will first show up when you load them. You then physically drag the programs (in win98 anyway) to the screen you want it on and this postioning gets saved in the program's settings. This does make things very interesting when one monitor dies and you've put all the important dialog boxes on the 'other' screen.

Back