dual mixers

mitosis

Has anyone ever run dual mixers to a soundcard? I really like my Yamaha MG10/2 but need more than four XLRs. Instead of buying an expensive bigger mixer I was thinking about just buying another MG10/2 and then running RCA cables from both mixers into a Y-cable and then into my soundcard. Any problems with this? Is this the best solution to get more XLRs and phantom power while still being able to mix the signal first? Thanks.

I can't get excited about using y cables.

What you can do is take the main L & R from one mixer and feed it into, say, a line input on the second mixer, then just feed the second mixer's L & R into the PC

yeah using the Y cables might weaken your signal. I would either do what mitosis said or you can get something like the SMpro PR8e 8 channel preamp and it'll give you 8 more mic channels all phantom powered, and run it to your mixer...

I thought about the 8 channel preamp, nady maybe, but I want to be able to mix the signal and EQ it first because I'm using the line in on my audigy II soundcard so I can't mix the signal once its in the computer much. You think my 2.02 ghz processor and 512 mb ram could handle recording two soundcards at once in Kristal if I ran each mixer into a separate card? Thanks.

yeah you should be able to handle 2 soundcards at once. Mainly cause both soundcards would be handling much of the load anyways. If you had your preamp hooked up to your mixer, then you should be able to eq it before it hits your sound card too.

But if I hooked up the 8-channel preamp into the mixer I would only have room to but it on two channels. Doesn't that mean that I'm going to have to basically split four on each channel and therefore not be able to EQ each channel and just EQ them as a group?

Back