Dual Intel or AMD?

alonso

Hi Everybody:

It's been a while since the last time I posted here....Anyway, right now I'm up for upgrading my current PC from an AMD Athlon XP 2200 to either a dual AMD 64 or Dual Intel 64 processor and just wanted some of your perspective on power, speed and bang for the buck. My DAW is Sonar 32bit and I use XP Pro. Until Longhorn comes out and 64bit drivers have been written by major manufacturers, I plan on sticking to XP Pro.

The choices:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core 2.0GHz Microprocessor for $336.00

or

Intel LGA 775 Pentium D 830 3.0 GHz CPU, Dual-Core, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache, Support EM64T 64 Bit for $321.99

I'm listening to you and thanks in advance for your comments.

I have no experience with either of those processors personally, but for my last three computers that I have build I have gone with AMD and not been disapointed. My current recording rig is a Dual core AMD 4400+ and it really flies. If there is any way that you can afford the 4400+ I would seriously recomend it for its 1 MB lvl 2 cache. The cache really helps smooth out all system processes.

Just my change from buying a drink! ;)

Go for the X2, its the fastest chip on the market right now. I dont have any data on Sonar on X2, but Cubase Benchmarks have shown the X2 4400 to be on par with quad G5s (!) and thats some muscle

Back