dual channel mic preamp

artCROSS

I was just wondering, a grace 101 is around $565, a 201 is $1865. As a newbie looking to get his first "serious" pre-amp (want 2 channels for stereo recording), what are the advatnages in getting the 201 over two 101s. Is it just the convenience of having it in 1 unit with one power supply? Thanks

My understanding is that the 201 is not the same preamp as the 101. The quality is significantly higher.

If you are looking to spend $1,200 - $2,000 on a dual preamp, you are going to have a lot of options. The Grace is probably a good choice for acoustic music.

Also the 101 is a little box with a wall wart, whereas the 201 is a rack unit with an inbuilt PSU. Makes a big difference.

What are you planning to record? Will help with suggestions.

ahhh, good to know.

Well, I want to record mainly rock, but there's gonna be a lot of acoustic stuff in there too. I wanted something with digital outs, just so I can plug it into my firepod and add 2 extra channels, so I was looking at the apogee mini me or the grace lunatec. But, if I'm gonna sacrafice a lot of quality using digital outs, I can live without'em. This is also something I'm gonna be using in a commercial studio (well, project studio that I'm going to rent out to people) in the semi near future, so I wanna get something I'm not gonna hafta upgrade for that. Thanks for all the replies so far

If you are after quality, forget preamps with digital outs. Unless you are prepared to pay huge dollars, it's usually a trade of for quality vs price. Either the pre or the A/D or more often both will suffer to get the unit to an affordable price point.

And as has been debated here many times, the quality of the converters is secondard to the quality of you mics and preamps. It's the old "garbage in, garbage out" theory. If you put average mics and pres through quality converters, you'll just end up with enhanced "averageness".
OTOH, Putting quality mics/pres through average converters, you'll still end up with a quality sound.
So work on (IMO) preamps and mics now, and then converters later... if you really feel you need them.

For preamps now, check out the Vintech range...... You'll get a Dual72 for around US$1350, or the new 273 for about $1800 including the PSU. Both great units.
Or the Sebatrons are worth a look also if you like the big valve sound, although this may not be desirable for acoustic stuff.

You may want to check out the Chandler line up as well. I love my TG2 on vocals and guitars, and some acoustics. The only reason that I don't use my TG2 on acoustics more often is that my D&R console really shines on a lot of stuff like that.

Back