Dual Booting...Is It Really Worth It?

Village Idiot

The Love Butler
After hearing all the hoopla of the joys of dual-booting, I configured an XP dual boot system.

Looks like I did it correctly, but...

Now my Audiophile drivers are shaky.

They crackle on the sound whenever I boot up either drive, and my N-Track will record, but the time shown recorded justs sits there frozen.

Should I work the bugs out of this somehow. or revert back to my happy, stable single boot system?

VI

I don't get what you're saying. You hame 2 XP's installed on you computer? I've had xp pro, XP home, Server 2003 installed (all on diffrent hard drives) and i didnt notice any diffrence with my Q10 and cubase even tho I sometimes heard a crackling sound I think because 512mb of ddr pc2100 aint cutting it w/ all the plug ins I like to run.

I suppose that is a question I forgot to ask...

Is there any reason to dual-boot using the same OS?
Is there any reason I should have a dual booting system at all?

I have a plenty fast system without going into the specs on it.

I did a dual-boot Xp installation of the advice of an on-line column at
www.homerecordingconnection.com

And HERE is what I did exactly, because it sounded like an advantage:
http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/news.php?action=view_story&id=151

Was a well-written atricle and it stated that my recording drive would run much better if I dual boot my XP system.

1st drive (20 gig) I have my OS, winzip, a few more accessories.

2nd drive (40 gig 7200 Maxtor) I have my N-Track and recording software only.

Is this really worth the hassle to get the tweaks out?

VI

Just so you get the terminology right:
Dual-Booting means that you're running 2 operating systems (eg. Windows and Linux). On a dual-boot boot machine, you choose which OS you want to use when you start your coputer.

You just have 2 Hard Drives. Not two operating systems.
The advantage to this is, if your drive with the OS crashes, you still have all your audio files. You can always re-install Windows and all the apps., but you can't get those mp3's back!

I did get the teminology right, didn't I?

You are still "dual-booting" when you are booting up more than one drive, regardless of whether or not it is the same OS.

But isn't it true that my recording drive will work smoother on it's own boot up?

And the other drive with the games and stuff on it won't suck up RAM and working power from the recording drive, right?

VI

If I understand correctly you installed xp on a partition and then again on another. Now you get a choiceon boot up to which xp you want to open or run. Yes this is a dual boot whether os is same or different.

Pros
IMHO: It's easier and more tweakable then setting up different profiles

You can be very lean on what is running in the background and installed sucking up that upgrade needed memory (Corsair) My screen is grey, Run/msconfig/services etc...see www.blackviper.com

A crash may give you a back door for recovery

Cons
Have to pay attention to where files are saved to

and I'm sure more but I quad boot, I don't like setting up profiles

ps I'm not rubbing it in but...memory

good luck

So you have a os with only you recording software in it and then you have another for daily use? I could see this because when I installed my os it was running at using 60mb w/ 9 processes now with my stuff and junk installed on start up im runnin 18 processes w/ 100mb. I only have one thingset to start up but all the other things run.

Village Idiot said:
And HERE is what I did exactly, because it sounded like an advantage:
http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/news.php?action=view_story&id=151

Was a well-written atricle and it stated that my recording drive would run much better if I dual boot my XP system.

1st drive (20 gig) I have my OS, winzip, a few more accessories.

2nd drive (40 gig 7200 Maxtor) I have my N-Track and recording software only.

Is this really worth the hassle to get the tweaks out?

VI

That's not dual boot.
As Drummer4life pointed out, having 2 drives is not dual boot.

What you're wanting to do is install your OS on 1 drive (the boot drive) and store your audio files on another drive. That's a good idea, but it's not dual boot

Back