Dual 31 band eq or room treatment or both for monitoring??

Jason James

Hey there,
I'm trying to get my control room (and tracking room for that matter) tamed, acousticly speaking. I'm considering building bass traps etc. to tame the rooms but also wondering if a dual 31 band eq (alesis MEQ230, or digital eq etc) would be helpfull as well. My freind has an RTA and said he'd come RTA my control room and if I had an eq we could make my monitors more flat. Any advice. (I record mostly rock in a semi pro secnario, using a Nuendo system, Allen & Heath etc, my monitors are Behringer Truth monitors (i know, far from the best) set flat and are on speaker stands. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

JJ

Never EQ your monitors!!! You will be way sorry.

Truths will work until you get something better. Leave the EQ out of it.

AGreed. Treat your room and learn your play back system. An EQ on your monitors will only color the system and allow it to lie to you.

There are room compensation controls of the back of the Truths. Check how flat the response is and use those knobs to compensate if it's WAY too much bass or something... This is no doubt described in the Behringer manual...

Hey Thanks

Thanks guys
You just saved me from buying an eq I didn't need. Now I just have to figure out how to get started fixing my room(s). I have another post in the studio display section, perhaps I'll get some good ideas from there. I know Auralex will tell me what I need and sell me some expensive foam. I'm sure it works great but truthfully the "Auralex" studios I've been into don't look very appealing by the time you get the right amount of coverage. Hopefully some home brew stuff and a little Auralex etc will get me going and look nice in the end too. Thanks

J-3

Call around and find out who is your local commercial reseller of Owens Corning products. Get some panels of 703. It is better than foam and costs less. About $6 for a 2'x4' sheet 1.5" thick. There will probably be a minimum order size from the seller. Here it was $50.

Ok Road Kill, but then what? How do I figure out how much to put where? I'm thinking I need some absorbtion behind the monitors and on the back wall of the control room. What else? What about the tracking room? Also, if I get the owens, then do you suggest. Make boxes to hold the insulation and cover it with burlap etc. Thanks for the help.

J-3

Jason,

> How do I figure out how much to put where? <

Tex is correct as usual. Forget foam and get proper materials. For a given thickness, 703 rigid fiberglass is about twice as effective as "acoustic" foam rubber. And if you space it away from the wall it works to even lower frequencies. But to treat a room correctly you need real bass traps.

For the complete story see my DIY bass traps article:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

Then look for "Build a better bass trap" partway down the list.

--Ethan

Back