Dual 1/4-Dual 1/4 with Alesis IO 26?

BlahZayy1190

Could I use a Dual 1/4" to Dual 1/4" cable to go from my MPC 500's L/R outputs to the Alesis iO26's Line 1 and Line 2 inputs?

I've been told by numerous people that using splitters will cause you to lose quality, so Im trying to figure out if I can use Dual 1/4" to Dual 1/4" cables. And then just set the volume for each Line input (in this case Line 1 and Line 2) the same.

if you are talking about a typical 'melded' cable with dual plugs on each end that is not a 'splitter' it is simply a convenient arrangement for some situations

so, yeah, an arrangement with two cables, two transmission tracks, 'melded' together would be perfectly appropriate for l/r from source to input 1 and input 2 on the next stage

I have never actually seen a commercial cable with two 1/4 in. plugs at each end with only a single transmission cable that would not be a 'splitter' but something that would merge the L/R on the source, then distribute that merged signal to two independent channels on the other end. There are times when that is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. It is more or less what any mixer does. But with my understanding of your question, except for some specific processing there would be no need to use two channels on the A/D . . . the merged single would be identical (just as easy to copy and paste in software if you needed multiple iterations)

Back