DTXPress/MIDI output

Noplasticrobots

I own a DTXPress (first run). I've never used anything MIDI with it; everytime I've recorded with it I just run the mono out to the recording apparatus. Lately I've been wanting to try running each drum to it's own line on a mixer for better panning and control over mixing. This is impossible as I know of no way to split the cable and run a seperate line from the middle so my question (which probably sounds dumb) is this: if I were to record to a Porta Studio with MIDI in, would it sound like a horrible MIDI file, or would it replicate the sounds I hear while playing? Thanks for any help, I just never got this MIDI stuff.

MIDI would simply tell the computer signals that you are playing and what timing. It reaches the computer as just data.

You then need to use software to recognise those signals and do something with them. Logic, Cubase, Project 5 etc will all allow you to assign sounds to each signal. So when you hit each drum it will play new sounds.

This of course can be recorded and edited on the computer with as much panning, fading, filtering as you want.

You can replace the sounds to anything you want; that's the beauty of MIDI. You can use soundfonts or a sampler VSTi to play any sound you want from the hits.

Go to amazon.com and type "MIDI" into the search bar. Get yourself a good MIDI primer and you'll save yourself TONS of time and frustration.

Big Tip:
If your sequencer insists on piling all the drum hits into one track
and doesn't have an easy way to split them into separate tracks,
here's a great free utility that will split up a MIDI file into separate
tracks for each instrument:
"MIDIDRUM" on- http://www.gnmidi.com/gnfreeen.htm
(Lots of great free little midi tools there!)

Back