dtb's & MAC2's HRC#4

MAC2

....been checkin' out some of the pics & comments on the Jamfest and I couldn' help feel this tune might have fit in nicely at that event.....BIG thanks to Dan for doin' the mandolin and lead git tracks AND for bein' so easy to work with!! ......it's strictly an instrumental jam and you can find it here under the name "Mando&TheFirefly".....hope y'all enjoy it:http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1380&alid=-1

Cool jam!

Real nice sound on the acoustic. Would like to hear those solo lines a bit more up front though.

Nice playin'!:)

You are so right, this could so have easily fit in at the jamfest. Hey wait a minute!! You aren't pulling a fast one and submitting a jamfest recording are you? haha j/k :p

I agree i'd like to hear those guitar lines up a bit more they sound sweet. I like the congos (bongos)? not sure what the proper term is maybe they are hand drums. Anyway, cool jams mister.

Yet another fine piece of music comes out of the challenge!

I also agree that the lead lines are too buried.....I'd like to hear them better........and it seems a little 'boomy' to me. But the important thing is the music and that's very nice........good job.

Excellent playing and recording guys.I would like to hear the mandolin just a little bit louder....the lead guitar licks could stand to come up too.Very good job dudes.

There is a slight feedback at the 3 second mark on the intro....
Solos and mando need to come up in the mix fellas....perhaps send the percussion back a bit.....rhythmn guit was a bit heavy in the lows at a couple of points...other than that..no nits guys
This is super good music...GREAT playing...good job fellas...cool colab! :D

Joe

Hey Guys,
...Little boomy on the rhythm acous., and the lead lines (guit and mando) could come up a hair.... I know ...its been said before:rolleyes: :) ...sorry.
Yeah, this would be a GREAT tune at the jamfest man. ...the part of the show where ya light up a cigarette, sip your beer, and just chill to a couple'a guys cuttin a nice groove.
great stuff fellas.....
gw/5 nice collaboration!

Really good playing all around. I liked that intro on the guit.

But yeah, the guitar is dominating the mando. I'd say pull back the guit and bring up the mando. I also wonder if there's an EQ cut somewhere in the mids of the guit that might help the mando get through a little better.

Is there a little timing issue between the instruments around 3:15-3:17? Seems like they're off by a hair.

Just a suggestion... I wonder if ending the song with a fade out might sound cool?

Good song.

Wonderful. Good recording. Percussion indeed, a tad too heavy. Trip is also right on everything, as usual.

Hey, I just imagined a flute. It sounds weird in print, but it sounded pretty good in my head. Funny :)

well, I think my head and body are just starting to feel normal after the jamfest. damn, it's getting harder and harder for us old guys. I'd like to thank Bob for putting forth this tunage and allowing a musically challenged, pea brain, who had to look up some of the chords in his big note guitar book, to tag along, with a couple of weak tracks. And many thanks to Bob for taking on the job of mixing the tracks on his system. I feel that we did a nice little tune, for the time we put into it. I know he was real busy with his own life thing, and I'm sure he rushed through this project, as I also did a rush job on my tracks, to get'em to him before jamfest week. This was a very fun challenge, giving me a chance to "meet" another talented person, and play a little music with him. I hope all you folks had as good an experience as I did with this project.

I agree with all the comments so far about our tune. And I'll leave it to Bob if he wants to play with some more. I know it was a tough go since he had to work with my tracks.

Thanks fellows, I'll be looking up your challenge tunz as they come in.

Dan

TripleM said:
Did you stop taking your lithium again? You know how we feel about that.

:rolleyes:

*reads bottle*

"X....T................C...........hmmmmmmmmmmm, that can't be right?"

:D

Thanks to everyone for listening and all the replies!!

I've put up a remix and tried to address the "boominess" & bring Dan's tracks more out front: http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1380&alid=-1

...brought the rhythm git down, the "bongos" down (...actually the bongo/conga sound from Buck62's DTXpress digital drum kit:p ), added some cut on the rhythm git track and on the full mix, and brought Dan's mandolin and git up.....thanks to every one for their comments on the mix...I think it helped:D

joro: I think the feedback you heard was actually the harmonics Dan played on the mandolin during the intro...now that it's up in the mix you'll probably hear it better for what it actually is ;)

erichenryus: Jamfest was an event where all the homereccers who could make it gathered for a jam and a good time....nice thing is it's an annual event so there's always next year if ya' didn't make this years...

Guernica:...I agree with your comment about lighting up, sittin' back and feelin' the groove....that's pretty much how I heard it too :D

Pedullist:....the flute idea is cool....I just might give that a try with Buck's guitar synth :cool:

Dan:....you did a GREAT job!....ya' might be able to hear the crickets in the remix during the intro ;) :D :D ....this was FUN!...when I first started mixing it I couldn't help but think how it sounded like the Greatful Dead jammin' live :cool: ....if next year's jamfest is close by maybe we can do it "live" for folks.....I agree with you about the collabs turning out good....so far all of what I've heard is really good (insert THANKS to Sluice here for the great idea!!)....I have a feeling the best is yet to come too!!

Last edited:
this is better, to my ears. there wasn't too much acoustic jamies at the fest. we had one set that I got a little mando in. but there was some small camping area meetings with the acoustics that were great. most of the jams were electric and plug in acoustics. enough of that. I think this mix addressed the comments very well. you are a genius. you should try the flute thing. I know the synth you speak of well. there are some good wind instruments on it that have my finger prints all over'em. he he he he

great job Bob. and again thanks to Sluice, for the idea, and to you for partnership. big time fun.

Dan

opps, jamfest will be in Conn. again. same place, and about the same week-end. and since there were folks from Cal., Ga., Canada, Mich., Belgium, Fla., Va., and all over New England, it seems local. I drive 12-13 hours, and worth every mile. the best way to plan is put it on the calendar now, and make all other plans around that date.

Dan: glad you liked the remix a bit better....I do too

TripleM:...yep, that's my sloppy playing there around 3:15-3:17....didn't fix it though 'cause 1) I'm lazy :D and 2) I liked the way things fell apart and then got back on track at 3:25...you know, "live" stuff, warts and all ;)

Very nice tune. I listened to the remix and the lead instruments sit pretty well compared to the rhythm guitar, but I suggest bringing down the percussion even more.

The lead guitar and mandolin parts intertwine well.

Dan is too modest; a fine mandolin player. At this jamfest and the last one, every time I had my acoustic guitar in hand and he was holding his mandolin I would ask for a lead! Sometimes I had to beg!!! (And why can't you play into a mic when the acoustics are plugged in??!!!!);)

thanks Larry. I guess it's me. It always seems hard to hear for me when playing thru a mic with elec. or a/c guitars, as well as drums. But like I said, it's me.

Thanks for the listen and comments, and I love your cd dude. Great tunz.

dan

Back