Drums without bottom heads?

synergy

I'm new to drums so I was just wondering....does anyone record without the resonant/bottom heads? What are the advantages / disadvantages of doing this?

The bottom (resonant) heads provide the majority of a drums "tone". Whereas the top (batter) head provides the attack.

What this means is a drum with only the batter head will have the attack and some tone (basically a "dry sound") - but not as much tone (wet sound) as a drum with both heads.

In the late 60's and early 70's a dry drum sound was popular, and many people recorded ( and gigged) with single headed drums. Eventually (after the electronic fad) the "fuller sound" of resonant heads became popular again.

Some people prefer to record with only the top head - since it is easier to "tune" the drums. In particular, if you close mic, and prefer to add depth (reverb, etc.) at the board.

thats interesting mikeh, but in reference to tone, the batter head does just as much work..... the resonant head provides a "sypathetic harmony" kinda like hitting two notes at once, thats where the added depth in tonality comes from, for instance rota toms could be described as tonal couldn't they.......perhaps we just have conflicting views or definitions on the term "tone".......

(i don't think bill ward (early black sabbath) ever used resonant heads, so put on some old sabbath to check out his sound synergy)

dr. colossus, I agree that a single headed drum does produce tone - and yes Roto Toms are tonal.

Perhaps I should have referenced overtones or as you indicate harmonics. I was a very big fan of Bill Ward (and early Sabbeth) in fact at the time my band did almost nothing but, Sabbath, Grand Funk, Cream & Hendrix), and you are correct that Ward actualy did have more of an open sound than many at the time - I'm sure a reflection of his jazz roots.

As you said, we're saying the same thing, perhaps just different terminology.

Back