Drumpad Controller Compatibility

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I see drumpad controllers (e.g. Akai MPD218) coming with their own software which is "integrated" with specific DAWs. Does this integration prevent it from operating well with other DAWs?

Since all communication is via a single USB line I was wondering if the software was restrictive or flexible in this area.

Last edited:
As a bit of a midi novice, I can only relate my experience with an Akai MPK Mini. It is a class device so plug and play. I'm sorting things out currently on an M1 Mac and software has been a bit of a learning experience. I got the MPK due to it's tight integration with Ableton and the fact it came with a lite version. I also have been demoing a bunch of software as I hoped to avoid the whole Pro Tools subscription with late OS and new hardware support. Well they got me with the $99 offer and seeing as I often resurrect old projects, it is going to be transitional. The Mini worked just fine with Logic, Reaper and Studio One but I've always had trouble with Pro Tools going back 20 years when it came to Midi. Point is, which software matters. Some are really simple to map with function learning.

Odd thing about reupping Pro Tools is that it made me eligible for a Cubase Pro Crossgrade for $200. As an old guy, I've figured out some software platforms easier than others. Ableton has been a challenge but for my needs, it is only good for putting together quick music ideas. In the M1 world, I've run into issues with plug in's and instruments where some DAW software is running in universal mode while others are in emulation. Same with the plug in's. Problem is you can't mix and match but I digress.

In all of this, I've been leaning pretty heavily on YouTube, forums and even some Udemy classes to figure out what works. My two cheap controllers for Ableton (also have a Novation) have mostly worked with other software but there have been some learning curves in figuring out how to set them up. I'd chase the specific combos you plan on using to see if there are issues first.

Thank you. My interest has first been drawn to the Akai MPD218 as it's in the $100 +/- range. I'm only interested in the capability of quickly finger tapping a pattern into Reaper so I don't spend time searching for something in Grooves.

I did run across one video of the Akai being easily used with Reaper, so this one will probably be my starting point.

I purchased something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-DD75-Portable-Digital-Drumsticks/dp/B06XT46P6H

Now, I am no drummer, but I purchased a snare stand to mount this on and if you want to get some decent beats, then this works pretty well. I use SD or EZD and just use the learn functions to map the pads to the drum sound. Takes about 1 minute to set up. In EZ, you click on the drum, click learn, hit the pad, done.

It makes for a decent compromise between the high end E-drums and just the pads.

@Folkcafe - I use Ableton as well, using arrangement mode does everything a standard DAW will do. The software is nice for quick brainstorming, plus with your MPK you can have some Electro Jam sessions. Kind of fun after a few drinks. :)

@Folkcafe - I use Ableton as well, using arrangement mode does everything a standard DAW will do. The software is nice for quick brainstorming, plus with your MPK you can have some Electro Jam sessions. Kind of fun after a few drinks. :)
Arrangement mode is probably my least favorite part of Ableton. Perhaps because I am new to it and the fact that I am an old traditionalist. The MPK was purchased just for Ableton, was cheap and came with the software so I could try it out. It is fine for quick stuff like a bass line and great for hammering out a quick percussion track but I need a bigger full size keyboard for the rest of my work.

For recording a full band in the studio, Ableton wouldn't be my choice of software. After a lot of trials, I've finally landed on Cubase Pro as my primary DAW. The Pro Tools Subscription was a mistake out of nostalgia and it was cheap. I'll probably upgrade the lite version Ableton 10 to the basic version of Ableton 11. I like it well enough for some limited things making it worth the upgrade at some point but it wouldn't work as my primary DAW.

Looking around some more, I now feel more inclined to go with a keyboard controller as opposed to drumpads. One I'm looking at does include software but it allows for use with other DAWs. I think there's a DAW integration file that needs downloading after registering the device.

Added Info : The DAW integration file is not mandatory it seems, it just adds transport control for your preferred DAW.

https://nektartech.com/se25-midi-controller/

Last edited:
Ok, I went with the Nektar SE25 keyboard controller over the drumpad styles - it'll probably be more useful down the road.

This works pretty much right out of the box for some things but I had to download and install the DAW integration software (Reaper version for me). That allowed it to be recognized by Reaper so the device would show up when setting up in Properties and stuff and allow some minimal DAW control.

There is a whole 'nother proprietary DAW program included with the controller which I don't want to get into so I haven't downloaded that.

I'm using a smallish, soft-touch alpha-numeric keyboard with my PC.. this SE25 controller is even smaller - but not too small. The mini keys are just big enough to keep my fingers from tangling. There is no off switch so the USB connection powers it constantly.

So judging from my experience with this controller, the answer to my OP question would probably be .. MAYBE. This controller works with many DAWs but the specific integration software needs to be installed to match yours. Without that the controller may have limited usage. I'm assuming this will be the case with other controllers as well.

I was skeptical of all communication going through a single USB connection which winds it's way through Windows' programs to get to Reaper, but it's working very well with no latency or other buggy things.

Back