Drummer's perspective, or audiences?

Which perspective do you usually mix from?

• Drummer

Votes: 119 60.7%
  • Audience

Votes: 77 39.3%

• Total voters
Thread started on the 04-14-2007, who cares which perspective.

Maybe mix it so the drummers sitting sideways or upside down. This is the 50/50 discussion that has no answer, like what came first the chicken or the egg?

alan.

Thread started on the 04-14-2007, who cares which perspective.

This is the 50/50 discussion that has no answer, like what came first the chicken or the egg?
The chicken. :D
I guess because of the way the question is phrased {ie, 'how do you do it'}, it's the 50/50 discussion that will forever be open ended, unpeeling endless layers that repeat and mutate over the years as the wind blows here, there, but not there.

Fifteen pages? Really? For something that's less important than whether the toilet paper goes over or under?

I make Hip-Hop so my drums are layered. Every kick-drum is made up of several sounds... Same with my snares...
Panning on my kicks are fairly central (if panned at all) but snares are spaced out within the mix on both the left and the right. I usually have (different sounding) open and closed hats on either side of the kick and I often alternate on ride-cymbal (same sound - doubled on the pads) hits left and right.
If I'm using a chopped drum-break along with my drums I'll either leave it dead centre or double the track after export from Maschine into DAW and pan hardish left&right.

But none of this happens until after I've found a sample(s) I can work with and got some clean chops. I don't lay any chops down til the drums are tight but I spend a while prepping my sample(s) first.

Drums are the biggest part of the track though for sure and once they knock then getting the main sample/melody and bassline down is easy!

Here we go now everyone is going to add to a 2 1/2 year old thread that has done it's dash, thanks dobro.

Alan.

Here we go now everyone is going to add to a 2 1/2 year old thread that has done it's dash, thanks dobro.

Alan.

I read pretty much the entire (I skipped 3 pages) thread and didn't see the way I work represented within... Felt obliged to contribute as I believe my workflow differs to many of the participants in this forum. Not many of you guys 'appear' to be much into (Hip Hop) music that isn't guitar based.
My sincerest apologies.

I read pretty much the entire (I skipped 3 pages) thread and didn't see the way I work represented within... Felt obliged to contribute as I believe my workflow differs to many of the participants in this forum. Not many of you guys 'appear' to be much into (Hip Hop) music that isn't guitar based.
My sincerest apologies.

Well...the thread did say "drummer's or audience perspective"....not "rapper's perspective". :laughings: ;)

I agree that music productions have no rules....
...but when you are dealing with an actual drummer playing a drum kit...the kick, snare, hat and what have you, aren't going to be both on the left and right in the mix....
...so it's either drummer's or audience perspective. :)

Back