Drummer played a cardboard box on stage.

rob aylestone

We did a 50's/60's show and the drummer came to the front and played ....... a cardboard box - about two feet square. Inside sealed in with tape was a square of plywood with a foam wrapped Sennheiser drum mic gaffer taped to the piece of ply. The mic had a short M to F XLR cable. They played a couple of up-tempo Buddy Holly numbers and is sounded really great. I'm going to try this in the studio at some point, because it fitted perfectly

LOL - This instantly reminded me of Elvis' drummers during his '68 Comeback Special. One played sticks on an old guitar case, and the other played a guitar case, I presume with hand palms, then switched to the backside of a dreadnought acoustic.

We did a 50's/60's show and the drummer came to the front and played ....... a cardboard box - about two feet square. Inside sealed in with tape was a square of plywood with a foam wrapped Sennheiser drum mic gaffer taped to the piece of ply. The mic had a short M to F XLR cable. They played a couple of up-tempo Buddy Holly numbers and is sounded really great. I'm going to try this in the studio at some point, because it fitted perfectly
I assume the box sounded like a kick drum? Was there no other drum sounds?

No - If you listen to Peggy Sue - apparently, this song was recorded on a cardboard box in the studio? I don't know the details, but that's what they said.

LOL - This instantly reminded me of Elvis' drummers during his '68 Comeback Special. One played sticks on an old guitar case, and the other played a guitar case, I presume with hand palms, then switched to the backside of a dreadnought acoustic.

Man - I love that performance/show. Appreciate the intimacy of the setting, rawness of the performance, the joking and lightheartedness.... and sheer electric talent of the King. Sadly, the years after this went south - but man.... he was on this night.

Man - I love that performance/show. Appreciate the intimacy of the setting, rawness of the performance, the joking and lightheartedness.... and sheer electric talent of the King. Sadly, the years after this went south - but man.... he was on this night.
Yeah. That was a do-or-die move for big E. His star was beginning to fade.

Back