drumkit from hell problems in cubase

goodbyebluesky

Hi guys, new in here.
I have DFH2 and Cubase LE. I've gotten Cubase to recognize it as a VST instrument, but don't know where to go from there. I was hoping to write drum tracks from scratch in cubase that would trigger the dfh drum sounds, and I thought the 'key editor' function should let me. But the only way to get INTO 'key editor' is to select an already recorded midi part, of which I have none because I have no midi controller. I was hoping to write them from scratch using the piano roll thing.
can anybody help me out?

When you are in the arrange view, where you can see the tracks, use the draw tool (right click and select the draw tool), and click and drag to draw a blank midi part. Then double click, and drum away!

studiomaster said:
Be sure that u map your drums to the certain midi track.

Hmm, well I was able to draw a blank midi part, and then open key editor so thank you guys for explaining that.
But if I draw notes in the midi track, then press 'play' I hear nothing. Clicking keys on the piano roll on the left yields no sound, other than that annoying click sound. Isn't that strange? I think I have the drum map set to use dfh2 as the default. How do I map them to that certain midi track like you say, so I can actually HEAR the drumkit from hell sounds when I play the midi track?

First you have to route the output of the midi channel to the DFH in the channel settings.

DFH2 uses a none-GM drummap, although there are patches for General Midi maps, but they are far less usefull. I suggest learning where the stuff is in the default drummap (the one used in the Natural, Hard and NoWires [I think it's called that] patches).

i could help with a midi controller

i use the controller and a drum map. you can get a midi controller for $35 off ebay: Creative Prodikeys...it sucks ass but is fucntional.

you have DKFH2 so I am assuming you dig Meshuggah, programming beats like that will be much easierif you use bothe the drum map and a controller.

Not so much a fan of meshuggah, but DFH is some of the best drum samples I've heard. I was a drummer before the days of living in apartments with no practice space, so I want good drum sound and don't mind tediously writing them from scratch, though I eventually want to get a midi controller.

i agree on the samples

it is by far the best drum VST out there. That is one thing I have always loved about Meshuggah...their drummer...and that is the same stuff he used to program the new album catch 33...by far the best sounding recording I have heard from a Metal band...right along side the most recent Twelve Tribes album on Ferret.

I am a huge fan of meshuggah, though at times they can get too repetitive. I got the DKFH 2 becasue I really don't think there is a better sounding set of drums that I have head in metal. Danney Carrey from tool plays basically the same kit, and they are both endorsed by Sonar, there may be something else out there as good, but it is a cool novelty forme tofeel like I can make the drummer from meshuggah play what I hear in my head.

I am amazed at how easy it is to program beats on cubase with it...I just got to get better with a damn keyboard.

I would deffinately reccomend a lot of memory...I have 1.5G of memory and DKFH2 still has a bitch loading if you select a kit and use the "ALL" setting.

Back