drumagog and quanitizing help

buryher17

I just starting a practice recording and wanted to start recording metal bands in a new more effective (accurate) way. I set up all the triggers to the drum set and plug them directly into the mixer. I have it so when it peaks it peaks to the top of the levels.

So this project i have 5 tracks, snare, kick, and 3 toms. I have cymbals recorded seperately on a Left and Right panned track.

The issue that comes into play is getting all the tracks to work perfectly with drumagog. I'm new to this program so what is a good suggestive setting for using tracks with triplets and double bass hits constantly being played.

I tryed doing a quanitize (through cubase) and it helped the problem but I'm still a little confused on how to PROPERLY quanitize.

Does anyone have suggested settings? And maybe a good article on how to properly use quanitizing (in general or in cubase)

thanks a lot! :D

I just starting a practice recording and wanted to start recording metal bands in a new more effective (accurate) way. I set up all the triggers to the drum set and plug them directly into the mixer. I have it so when it peaks it peaks to the top of the levels.

This is a bad idea. You typically want your peaks around -18 to -12 while tracking. Any more than that and you will run out of headroom when it comes time to mix.

The issue that comes into play is getting all the tracks to work perfectly with drumagog. I'm new to this program so what is a good suggestive setting for using tracks with triplets and double bass hits constantly being played.

I usually just adjust settings using the visual part of the plugin. Adjust the threshold to where it picks up the peaks, and adjust the sensitivity until it's picking up all of the hits. Usually between 40 and 80ms will do.

I tryed doing a quanitize (through cubase) and it helped the problem but I'm still a little confused on how to PROPERLY quanitize.

Does anyone have suggested settings? And maybe a good article on how to properly use quanitizing (in general or in cubase)

thanks a lot! :D

I usually do this by ear, soloing the drums along with the click track and nudging the tracks when I hear something funky. Pro Tools has a handy grid for visual representation. Make sure to nudge all of the drum tracks, and not just the kick or snare. It takes practice, but I just prefer this method over Beat Detective or most auto quantizers out there.

Here are some band's I've recorded lately:
www.myspace.com/cholera
www.myspace.com/tstletters

Cholera required quite a bit of editing, as they use a lot of blast beats. A neat trick... if the kicks and snares match up on a blast beat, use the kicks to trigger the snare part (or vice versa). Makes for a very a tight drum machine/machine gun feel.

This is a bad idea. You typically want your peaks around -18 to -12 while tracking. Any more than that and you will run out of headroom when it comes time to mix.
He is recording triggers, so it doesn't matter.

buryher17 said:
If you are having this problem using triggers, something is wrong.

You need to set the threshold so it sees all the hits, visual mode makes this pretty easy to set. The resolution should be set to automatic.

If you are getting mistriggers, (multiple hits from one hit) filter out the low end.

Using drum triggers instead of mics should make this a no-brainer. Something is a little strange. Or, you bought really crappy triggers.

thanks a lot guys! you've given me a lot of spirit now, i'm goign o try all of that and work on usually it visually. The thing that is getting hard is there are 3 parts that go from a constant motion of double bass to an unbeleivably fast speed. So I'm tyring to make sure i play it all right.

Does anyone have suggestions on good tirgger sounds? Mine are quiet... I have all my sounds from the DM5 I have

ill check that site out thanks,

ONE MORE THOUGHT

I want to know if there is a way to replace 50 different sound with the same exact sound (same trigger hit except it is cut to the size i want and it will be symetrical to all hits).

Basically I want to do this to make it simpler on the double bass parts. I'm having such a hard time fixing them, there are about 100 hits within a 3 second span... it's making it very difficult to make them all exactly even and right.

Thanks for the help guys, this type of recording is all new to me. I'm just trying to get the best possible methods out and get them to sound good. Those recording a few posts up are perfect, thats how i'd like mine! If it's not too much trouble could you tell me the process of your methods?

buryher17
In drumagog if you untick dynamic tracking that will make all the samples the same volume. Now for the same sound i go into the samples tap and solo one of the WAV's i like and there we go. Some people untick the random multisample button if they only have a few samples in the GOG.
goodluck aviv

ill check that site out thanks,

ONE MORE THOUGHT

I want to know if there is a way to replace 50 different sound with the same exact sound (same trigger hit except it is cut to the size i want and it will be symetrical to all hits).

Basically I want to do this to make it simpler on the double bass parts. I'm having such a hard time fixing them, there are about 100 hits within a 3 second span... it's making it very difficult to make them all exactly even and right.

Thanks for the help guys, this type of recording is all new to me. I'm just trying to get the best possible methods out and get them to sound good. Those recording a few posts up are perfect, thats how i'd like mine! If it's not too much trouble could you tell me the process of your methods?
Are you asking how to quantize the trigger (make the performance perfect) or how to get drumagog to make every hit sound the same?

Back