Drum Wrap vs Finish

drum wraps vs. finish

• wrap

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • finish

Votes: 14 77.8%

• Total voters

Uladine

I know there are some advantages to having drums with Laquer finishes and the like in regards to resonance and what not, And wraps can hinder the shell resonance to a certain point, but to what degree? Should wraps be avoided at all costs in favor of finished drums? I've read somewhere that wraps don't hinder the resonance all that much because theyre vibrating with the shell, but I've also heard that wraps are like glueing a blanket to your drums. Anyone preffer the durability of wraps? Just curious, as I really like the look of certain wraps, but if it makes a huge difference I might try to avoid them.

I'm just trying to see what other people preffer taking sound quality and durabilty into account.

I'm kind of on the fence right now. I like the look of wraps usually, but if they affect the sound as mush as some people say, I might go for a drumkit with a laquer finish instead. I used to have an old Tama rockstar kit with wraps, but it was pretty much a crappy kit anyway, so I cant really trust my judgement on that kit. On the other hand, I've recorded my friends DW kit with a matte stain finish and found the resonance to be pretty rediculous. By the time we got the heads muffled enough to shorten their decay to a reasonable amount of time, it seems like all the extra money he spent was pointless from a sound quality standpoint. I've actually had better results with an old pearl export kit with wraps.

I've owned both - and I've NEVER noticed the difference.

A kit with a properly glued/bonded wrap will have minimal effect on the shell resonating. If it's poorly taped/stapled on, then yeah, that could make a difference. But for "most" people, they'd never notice the difference between wrapped and not.

Personally, I prefer wrapped, but only because when I play out it tends to be in small, smoky clubs so with a wrap I'm not as concerned as getting small scratches/dings in my shells.

I prefer finish because it looks nicer, but I don't think the sound is affected much at all. Last time I had a wrapped kit it fell off though :rolleyes:

I'd go with whatever you think looks nicer - I don't generally pay much attention to the look of a kit when I buy it.

i absolutely hate taking my laquer finished dw's out of the studio. if i would ever go on tour, i would purchase a kit that had a wrap. definatly more durable... not as beautiful as wood grain though..

foreverain4 said:
i absolutely hate taking my laquer finished dw's out of the studio. if i would ever go on tour, i would purchase a kit that had a wrap. definatly more durable... not as beautiful as wood grain though..

good point. I finished kit is an excellent choice if the kit is only used in a studio, but wrapped should be heavily considered if you do a lot of traveling.

DWs

I have both in DWs and The way that they do the wraps doesn't effect the sound/resonance. The wrap is just another ply. I do love the exotic kit though.

Wrap or finish? Get the one you like and dont worry about a scratch here and there. Take them out and play the shit out of them.
They are tools made to play and use. If you are the type to worry about a little scratch on your drum kit every time you take them out of the case to play a gig, It will take all of the fun out playing live.

Use the crap out of them and forget about it. ;)

I have two wrapped kits. In the past I've had laqcuered drums. Sonically, I don't find extremely noticeable difference. The main difference is durability.
With laquered/finished drums, you have to treat them gentler than wraps. For gigging there's nothing like a wrapped kit.
In the future, I'm planning on having a studio kit, which is to be setup and not be moved. I want the studio kit to be lacquered. And keep my wrapped kits for gigs.
Just my opinion.
Cheers!

Like Herm said- they're tools. Use 'em. They're gonna get trashed no amtter how hard you try to keep them pure. It's a drum. Beat it.

I am not sure where this idea came from that a rapped kit is tuffer than a finished kit. I have had both and my drums have been through the mill getting used every weekend for years I even let them sit in a trailor in harsh weather summer and winter. And if anything the wrapped kit is more likely to have the wrap peel off. And as far as a scratch they both do that.
A 900.00 set of drums is just that. Chances are they will never be collectors items or worth one dime more then that. They will pretty much be worth what ever a used set of drums are worth when you get tired of them and are ready to move on to the next set.
Use them and get your moneys worth out of em.

Uladine said:
I know there are some advantages to having drums with Laquer finishes and the like in regards to resonance and what not, And wraps can hinder the shell resonance to a certain point, but to what degree? Should wraps be avoided at all costs in favor of finished drums? I've read somewhere that wraps don't hinder the resonance all that much because theyre vibrating with the shell, but I've also heard that wraps are like glueing a blanket to your drums. Anyone preffer the durability of wraps? Just curious, as I really like the look of certain wraps, but if it makes a huge difference I might try to avoid them.

Regarding the sound difference, that really hasn't been true for any of the drums made in about the last 20 years.
Back in the early 70's and prior, the wrap was actually fit into the shell as a part of the shell - it was literally seamed into the plies of wood, and then glued and pressed into the wooden shell under pressure, and it kind of choked the drum a little bit. But since the late 70's to early 80's, the wraps have been applied differently, also the wraps are of a much more flexible material than the older wraps were.

Personally - I prefer Stainless Steel drums, but that's beside the point. LOL

Tim

I feel finishes are alot more delicate and wraps are ALOT more durable. Thats why I have both. I use my set with finish in the studio and practicing that never leave the house and another set thats only for playing out that hardly ever comes out of the trailer in the back yard unless im puting new heads on them. If I had to pick between one or another It would probl. be a wrap because I play out more then I play in a studio. But Finishes look ALOT better :D

Back