Drum Tuning/Sound

cubanorocker316

Hello everyone, well i need some tips on how to tune my head and if theres any special equipment i should ude for what im about to request, What i want is, i want to make my bass drum clicky yet punchy, but not so clicky to where you cant hear the tone. Lamb of God's bass drum is something close to what i would like to accomplish. I want to get the toms punchy, and i want them to have sustain, mine die out too much because i use the rings but if i dont they sound like complete shit, so guys please give my some tips on what to do, thanks

- Lou

What kit make and model do you have
What pedal and beater are you using
What brand and model of heads are you using, and when was the last time you changed them?
Do you have a resonant head? with or without a hole cut in it

Are you only asking about how the drum sounds to you when you play - or how it sounds recorded?

Do you realize that the way a bands bass drum sounds on an albumn has a lot to do with how it was recorded: mic used, mic placement, room, etc...

Well I'm no drummer so I was/am frustred that I couldn't get the click to the bass drum. Then I realized that he is using a felt beater and it won't produce that sound. Just FYI

im not

im not talking about recording, im talking about live sound, i have remo pinstripe heads that arent that bad, even on the bass, there is a hole about the size of a cd in the resonant head, i have iron cobras, felt beaters(stock ones that come with it) i have a mapex v-series single bass set.

Replace the beaters! Felt is exactly what you don't want, as said by VSpaceBoy.
Get a wooden or plastic replacement, it'll help out so much!

plastic or wood beaters on loosely tuned batter side.
the put the pillow (cause i know u have one) up against the beater side but not touching the reso

so its like how you would put the pillow in normally, but not touching the reso side.

Back