Drum Triggers... cheap way to setup a e-drum kit

actorindp

Hey All, I do small home recording projects, and recording drums is a problem. I don't have the money (or pre-amps on my mixer) to mic drums properly... and It just becomes a hassle at recording time.

I dont have the money to put into a nice electric kit either. Here's what I was thinking;

Get an Alesis DM-4 or DM-5 module.
Buy a couple of Those RedHot Triggers...
(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...065495914/g=perc/search/detail/base_id/103608)

three cymbal triggers and a footswitch (for the high hat)

Will my plan work out? Or am i asking too much from these triggers.

Also, would I be able to put one of those RedHots on the bass drum? Or do I need to buy a bass drum trigger.

Please help me out guys!! :)

Well, that is what they are designed to do. I have never used the redhot triggers myself. I have however used these triggers! I would think they are a little more reliable, but i dunno?

But now would i be able to put one of these bad boys on a bass drum and get the same effect? or am i asking too much?

-Nick

You would have to take a piece of sandpaper and scuff up the head where you intend to put the trigger on it, then use some silicone to stick the trigger to the head. It needs to sit for at least 24 hours before you play on it.
Then you put some duct tape over top of it.

You want to put this on the same "plane" as the mallet...i.e., across from the mallet-but level with the mallet.

I'm not sure how well these triggers will work, but I have knwon guys who used them.

You could also buy a remo muff'l ring, and using an exacto knife, slit the foam open, and then put the trigger inside the foam...then wire up a 1/4" jack through the drums airvent hole. That way the triggers would be mounted INSIDE the drum, and the foam would help subdue any false triggering.

Tim

Thanks for your reply Tim...

That approach would be great, If i had a set of my own.
You see I'm going to be dealing with a few different bands, so the plan was to just put the triggers on whoevers set i have.

I could purchase a cheap kit for about 2 and change.
But then I'm at the point where I might as well just buy an all out electric kit anyways...

(out of frustration)
Stupid drums :P hehehe

-Nick

Why don't you look for a used Kat(Alternate Mode) DK10
and connect it to a PC with some inexpensive software(assuming
you have a PC)?

In that case, your best bet is to go ahead and invest in a top of the line set of ddrum or roland triggers.

These red hot kind of triggers are meant to be permanently mounted to a set of heads, and what you need is something that will just clamp onto the Rim of the drums.

Tim

Back