Drum track compression

affleckp

Ok hopefully someone can educate me on this. I have a Motu 896 and a Toft Audio ATC-2 preamp/EQ/Compressor recording to Cubase SX using a mic for (Snare, Bass Drum, 1 each for the small/Med/Floor toms, 2 overhead) total of 7 Mics. The compressor is a 2 channel and when recording I have been compressing the Bass Drum and Snare prior to recording. They sound great after recording. What would be the best way to compress the other tracks? Would this best be done in the computer software or should I route the sound from the computer back through the Toft Audio ATC-2 and rerecord using the compressor on the external hardware? Also after all the tracks are finished compressed/gated/eq should the drums then be mixed down and recompressed? I am not sure what the standard/best procedure for drum tracks is. What do you suggest? Thanks for any help!

It is best to do as little processing as you can, in order to acheive the sound you want. If the tracks need compression, use it, but don't overdo it. I don't record drums myself, so can't give any real specific advice, but running it out to the outboard gear is probably going to get better results than software, just from the other posts I've read around here. You might try both, and see if you like one better.
Ed

i usually do not compress, gate, or eq anything going to disk. once recorded, i typically will gate everything individually (BD, SD, Toms), then run a compressor on a buss and send all the drums to that. not too much though, or your cymbals will sound like crap. then, if i need more compression, i will add that to individual tracks. i usually end up doing the bass drum and snare drum up a bit more with compression. as far as specifics, i use the uad-1 dsp card. i throw an 1176 on the buss, and use the Pultec EQ on channels. individual gates and compression, i use the "uad-1 Gate/Comp".

Back