Drum Test

steelphantom

I'm getting ready to record a demo for my brother's band this week, and I've been messing around with drum recording a bit today. Here's a sample:

http://www.box.net/shared/7xyfv5t8ow

That's me playing the drums, and I'm not really a drummer, so take it easy! :p

The snare was just recorded using a 57 on top, about an inch above the snare, aimed at the center. I think it could use a little more punch, as right now it doesn't cut through enough. Any comments on what I could do to improve this sound? Thanks!

You play drums = you are a drummer....lol. Sounds good, but you really need the rest of the instruments to see how they sit in the mix. The snare hasn't got much snap/crack but then I don't know what the rest of the music is like so it may or may not cut through. Overall, I anticipate good results with the final mix, based upon I've heard so far. :)

You play drums = you are a drummer....lol. Sounds good, but you really need the rest of the instruments to see how they sit in the mix. The snare hasn't got much snap/crack but then I don't know what the rest of the music is like so it may or may not cut through. Overall, I anticipate good results with the final mix, based upon I've heard so far. :)

Thanks! You're right about the snare not having enough crack. It may just need a new head. The one that's on there now is a bit worn.

if u tune the snare a little higher it will popa bit more are u multi-tracking or are the drums one track?

Maybe I'll try tuning the snare higher tomorrow; it's a little late on the East coast to do any drumming right now. :D

I'm multitracking. Here's my mic setup:

Snare: SM57 on top.
Kick: Beta 52 sitting on pillow in the middle of drum facing up at the beater
Toms: e604 at a 45 degree angle about 1" from head
Overheads: C4 in recorderman position

Any other obvious improvements I could make, other than the snare? I have the overheads panned about 80% left and right, and the two toms panned about 25% left and right. Snare and kick are panned dead center. Thanks again for the replies.

The snare is my first comment.
Get some more high frequencies to it.

The kick sounds a bit lacking of punch and clarity.
The oh`s sounds to be a bit loud, did you do anything with these EQ wise?

It also sounds as if you have compressed them way to much.:)

Nice playing though:cool:

Whooooah, sounds like you have some really heavy compressor on the whole mix. Everything seems to die on every kick thump.

You need to take all of the "mud" away from the kick and give it a touch of punchy lows and also a bit of 'click' in the higher frequencies. Its far too prominent at the moment, but probably if it was tightened up them it wouldn't need dropping back too far because it wouldn't be so thumpy and obvious anyway.

Overheads sound OK, but there's a bit of a strange ring between them which sounds like they might be having some phase issues. It could just be the MP3 compression, which usually wipes out cymbals in a mix anyway so that could be making them sound a bit weird.

Toms sound fine to me. Far better than what I get. Maybe just a tad bit ringy.

The snare has already been commented on. You could try some clever multiband compression on it, or what I do to 'fatten up a snare' is to make a duplicate of the track... have a heavy compressor on one track to give the hard and loud bit of the hit, then on the other track do some EQ to bring out the high-mids and have that as the attack and crackle - mix the two to taste. Another mic underneath can also help get more of crisp sound.

You play drums = you are a drummer

Not trying to kill your train but sometimes thats not the case and maybe even so with the snare. You need technique, I see drummers smacking that snare with power and playing with rimshots. My guess is that you just played dead in the middle?

If im wrong tell me but get a drummer round and record him and then it will be a bit more clear.

See what im trying to say?

Yup, that sounds a huge load better.

To be a nice drum mix by itself then I would probably say the kick needs to drop back a bit and the snare come forward a bit, but once you add other tracks in then the balance changes completely and drums which were before quite prominent just get lost under everything.

I still feel there's something slightly odd going on with the overheads and I can't work out whether its phase issues or the lossy MP3 compression - the open high-hat has a bit of a strange sizzle, especially around 0:24. Perhaps try one or two other positions and compare how they sound before next week.

Second mix sounds way better. I agree that there is something strange going on between your OH's, pahsing could be the issue.
The kick could probably come down some more though (depending on the genre, what genre is it?) but that will depend on the how the bass will sit in the final mix.
Hard to judge without any other instruments, but Id say your off to a good start!

Mike

Thanks guys! At least now I know I'm on the right track. :D I'm not sure how things could be out of phase. I'm using the recorderman technique for overheads: one mic directly above the snare and another by the drummer's right shoulder, at approx. 45 degree angle, both at a length of two drumsticks from the center of the snare. I did notice that on one of my C4s I had to crank up the gain a few dbs more than the other so they would both peak at the same time. I don't really remember having to do that before.

As far as the genre, I'm not exactly sure what you would call it other than just "rock." They are just doing a bunch of covers right now, but the bands they cover range from Steve Miller Band to Smashing Pumpkins to Jimi Hendrix to Rush. Quite an eclectic mix, eh? They're going to pick about 5 songs to record for a demo CD so they can try to get some gigs.

Thanks once again for all your help! :)

Back