Drum Test --- This is only a Test ---

Fishmed

I finally got my recording set up for drums closer to what I want. I had a friend come by the other weekend to help me test things out. He decided to play part of a song he wrote. His disclaimer was that he had not played drums in a couple of years, but I thought he did a great job for being rusty, but more important it was good enough for my test.

I am posting several clips of the evolution to the full mix.

Dry OH
Dry Mix
Wet Mix (Added EQ & Reverb)
Full Mix

this is cool. its a good way to teach people who maybe are wondering how to record drums the importance of OH's and how to mix in all the close miced stuff. it's a nice little short tune too. good stuff man. Drums sound great btw.

Thanks!!! :)

I like fat and full sounding snares. If the mix had more to it I would made the adjustments for the snare to fit. My goal here was to keep them out of the spot light and to keep the focus on the accoustic guitar.

snare vs. ac guitar

That snare sounds pretty dark and dead. It works for this song, but in a busier mix it will get lost.

i think the tone of the snare needs more bright sound, tweak a bit more the eq's and then if you don't want the snare to be the SPOtlight like you say just put a lower volumen. but definitely needs work more the snare.

Ya know... I listened to both mixes twice, and, although I'm not sure what this means, but I much prefer last year's mix. It's got a bit thinner-sounding drums, and to me, that makes the drums sound a bit better placed as well. To my ears, the thinner drums give a bit more of the stage to the guitar (which sounds great, in my non-guitar playing ears)

I really like the overall sound of the drums, too. They fit well with this song, and with last year's mix, I found myself listening more to the whole song, even while listening critically. This year's mix lends itself a bit more to listening to the drums, because they're a bit fatter, and more prominent.

Great mix, though. I like the kick, too. It's a nice fat resonant kick, with just enough punch to keep it present.

Yup... Both mixes are well-done, but I highly prefer last year's.

After I posted, I had to double-check myself, and quite frankly, I really, really like last year's mix. Seems much less muddled on every front. It seems like there's been a general "fatness" added to the whole song in this year's mix, which to me doesn't add much to the song at all, but rather just muddies up the sound..

And for everyone who's ranting on about your snare - dude... For this song, it fits perfectly. Snappy and relatively thin, with just enough shell resonance to give it life.

Great sounding drums, bro.

(and whatever plugins you added this year, ya might want to re-consider using them on this song....)

Also, I'm using cheap crappy headphones now. When I get home, I'll listen to it on my monitors. Maybe I'll have a different opinion then.

Back