Drum Storage

reshp1

I may have to move into an apartment in the not so distant future and won't be able to have my kit. :( What's the best way to store them, for say, a year or too? Keep the kit assembled (drums/cymbals on hardware), disassemble but keep heads on, disassemble and take heads off? Other things to look out for?

if you are storing it for a year or two then it is a good idea not to stack them one above each other with the heads on as this will just stretch the heads and when you come to play with them again the heads will be ruined.

Find a band that needs a drummer, then set em up at their place. ( Done that more than once.)

make shure to leave the heads on. make shure there is no moisture where you are going to keep them. and also no extreme/rapid changes in temperature. If you got cases leave them in them. If you don't I suggest you go get some. Anyway drums are pretty durable. I have plenty of kits from the sixtys and I am shure they havn't been in active use for 40+ years without sitting somewhere at some time. So I wouldn't dwell too too much on this one.

phaqu said:
Find a band that needs a drummer, then set em up at their place. ( Done that more than once.)

I wish. :D
Just started a few months ago, I doubt anyone would want me as a drummer. So leave the heads on but don't stack, is that the general concensus?
I'm a guitar player, so... we're weird about storing our instruments long term. :D

Leave the heads and rims on to secure the round of the drum. It's not a bad idea to loosen the heads a little (not a lot). Certainly cases are a good idea - even if it's only soft shell.

As already discussed make sure moisture can't impact the drums and if possible avoid extremes in climate.

When I have to stack drums, I place plywood betwwen each drum. The plywood is cut so it sits on the rim (not on the head). As an example 14" drum with 16" plywood on top and then the 12" drum on the plywood.

mikeh said:
Leave the heads and rims on to secure the round of the drum. It's not a bad idea to loosen the heads a little (not a lot). Certainly cases are a good idea - even if it's only soft shell.

As already discussed make sure moisture can't impact the drums and if possible avoid extremes in climate.

When I have to stack drums, I place plywood betwwen each drum. The plywood is cut so it sits on the rim (not on the head). As an example 14" drum with 16" plywood on top and then the 12" drum on the plywood.

even if the preasure is on the rim, you are still stretching the head. the absolute best way is hard shell cases...

Back