drum sound

ametth

Sir Cool of Coronado
I recorded this in my practice studio, here is what I used. SM58:Kick, SM58:Floor Tom, RadioShack Condenser:Rack Tom, SM58 for the snare(I had to mic it from the bottom though, not enough room to mic it from the top. I plugged all the mics into a Mackie 1202 with no eq at all going into an ESS soundcard into n-Track Studio. There are no effects on the drums, which brings me to my question: what effects do I need on these drums, this is my first experience with recording drums. Thanks for the help.

I listened to a bit of it. As far as effects go, probably a touch of reverb depending on what sound your after. The splash cymbal is a tad loud. You could try changing the angle of the mic on your tom's to try and compensate for this, or move your splash (or crash?) a little higher up, or both. Also, you could improve this a lot with some EQ. The kick could use a bit of low end boost and perhaps a touch of mid cut.If you have a few other mic's, it would be good to setup a couple overhead mic's, pointing down at the kit, above the ride, and your left (stage left) cymbal. This might help to add a bit of stereo seperation if mixed right when you send it into digital land.

Emeric

cool, thank you very much for the feedback, I will make those adjustments yuo recommended. Any other feedback? I want to buy some dedicated drum mics. Can anyone recommend some at a reasonable price? Thank you.

Back