Drum sound?

Amped

Why the hell cant I get that ballsy sound through my headphones while recording??? Im using Protools 002R, Two overheads (Octava MK-012's) Beta-52 for the bass drum, the bass drum sounds real tinny through the phones, Senn HD280 pro's, Behringer 4700? headphone amp. The three mics are going directly into the 002's pre's. When I was recording at a "pro" studio, the headphone mix was always really clean and punchy, almost like they were triggered, they werent. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Well, you were in a pro studio. Chances are they weren't using 3 mics. Chances are none of the mics they were using was a Beta52 or an MK012. Chances are they had everything miced. Chances are they were using a nice board or some nice outboard pres, with some nice EQs and compressors.

It's always depressing to me to go into a nice studio and track drums nowadays. I usually just stick to getting the best I can with what I have instead, and not worrying so much about how much better I could sound with another half million in gear.

The drums sound nice and full during playback through the monitors, that would indicate (at least to me) that the mics arent the issue, it just sounds like crap through the phones... Whats up with that?

Blue Bear Sound said:
sounds like you're overdriving something in the headphone monitor signal chain........

My thoughts exactly. Im just not sure what yet. Theres not much to the headphone/monitor chain other than Digi headphone out to the amp to the phones. Ill have to experiment more with the Digi/headphone amp signal output ratios for starters.

Back