drum software - is it possible to create your own beats?

mr.rudy

Is it possible to create one's own rhythms (like 'click, click, drag and drop and here we go') in programs like EZ drummer or Addictive Drums or do I need some midi device (keyboard, electronic drums) or use only the beats that are already in the program ?
It may seem a stupid question but I have not encountered any tutorials or videos where people would make the beats with the mouse...

I use ezdrummer and you can create your own tracks if you want. Ezdrummer comes with a lot of pre-made beats that you can drag into your daw and use right away. But you can also edit them. It used to be that you had to have a daw to use ezdrummer, but I think they now have a standalone player.

I am not familiar with Addictive Drummer, but I think it's very similar to ezdrummer.
Cheers,

It may be rather archaic, but I actually use the drum pad on my br-600 to make beats. (usually 1-2 measures in length.) I make a couple fills here and there and then I transfer them as a wave file to my laptop. I then finally use Sonar to arrange them with other guitar tracks and he such.

I have about 250 clips in various bpm (ranging from 80-200) that I use quite often. If something doesn't quite fit, I go back to the drawing board and make a few more.

Is it possible to create one's own rhythms (like 'click, click, drag and drop and here we go') in programs like EZ drummer or Addictive Drums or do I need some midi device (keyboard, electronic drums) or use only the beats that are already in the program ?
It may seem a stupid question but I have not encountered any tutorials or videos where people would make the beats with the mouse...

Yes, you can create your own in EZ Drummer, and Addictive Drummer. And PC Drummer and several others, BTW.

And, yes, you can also use, and edit the beats that come with the programs.

And, yes, you can create your own with some midi device.

I actually do all three. Depends on what I need, at the moment.

Honestly my first thought was this is kind of a stupid question....but then I went to google up a tut for you - and I can't find one either. How weird...

I don't have EZ Drummer so I'm not sure what the features of that are - but I do have Addictive Drums and I use it as a VSTi in Cubase. The drum editor in Cubase is really, really straightforward. It's a grid where each horizontal line is a note and each vertical line is a specific musical time measurement. You can just click away until you have a drumbeat all clicked out.

Personally, I use Addictive Drums (and others) in addition to Drumagog. I trigger all the drums to midi, and then quantize and edit them in midi (which is about 10,000 times faster than editing real drum audio) and then re-route the midi back out to Addictive (or whatever drum VSTi I may be using). But there's no reason you couldn't just skip the whole triggering part and program the drums yourself if you are just trying to make your own music and you aren't actually recording other bands/artists.

I'm pretty sure that any DAW host that allows you to route midi data through a VSTi (like Addictive Drums) will have a midi editor built into it. Try to find a drum editor in it. If not a drum editor, then a piano roll editor could be used, I guess. You DO NOT want a Controller Editor, List Editor or Score Editor at this point. That would be soooooooooooo tedious.

I think that's about as thorough of an explanation as can be given, hope it helps!

Actually...I don't really have anything to do until 9 - so I through this together for you:

Programming this bar in Nuendo (I'm at work...I should have slept in today, lol...anyway - Nuendo's drum editor is the same as Cubase):

and running it through Addictive Drums at 100 BPM comes out sounding like this:

Now...if that doesn't clear it up for you - then nothing will!

Back