• rebirth

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • reason

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • acid

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

davejohno

I was just wondering where to get some good drum samples. Should I buy a CD? If so which one, or can anyone tell me where I can download some good ones? Also what is the best software? by the way I need it mostly for rock and blues.
Thanks alot!

One more thing. am I better of with software or hardware. Is there software that allows you to tap it out on a keyboard instead of writing the sequence.
thanks

Get the sample CD titled "Drum Tools" its a sample cd created by the makers of ACId - (sonic foundry). The CD contains numerous 'One Shots'. Basically there several hundred one shots of Bass drums, snare drums, tom tom's....etc. In acid you may create your own beats usingthe one shotys. Its very simple and inexpensive.

bizarre,

I registered at that site, now what?...how do I get to the samples?....

huh ??? just checked the site, it's been a while since I downloaded from it, dunno what the f... they did to their download section ???
beats me - sorry dude
bizz

Thats cool...looks like they are updating....Ill keep checking back to check out those samples....thanks for the link.....

hi
just got this mail from E-lab, guess the download section is up again ;)

"Welcome to our new and improved site, we hope you will enjoy our new added
sections! The updated download section now needs you to register again, even if
you already done this before.

We apologize for the inconvenience of having to re-register, but due to changes
in our database handling this is a must! Good luck and welcome back!

The e-LAB TEAM
"

bizz

Actually I have a list of sites where you could download decent drum samples, but I´ll post it later. There is also a trick you can use with midi drums, take each sound for example snare, and add reverb and eq or other effets to it, try to change it to make it more natural sounding, not just load it and put it in your sequencer. Try to vary the velocity of the hits randomly so it does not sound like a machine, also vary the timing or quantization, so not every hit is 100 % dead on the click, speed and drag some just a bit. You could also run the signal through some guitar stomp boxes to add cool effects or play the drums through a speaker in a room and mike the speaker to add "air" and reverb. Oh well, you wanted samples, I´ll post it later.

multi layered samplers with multi-layered samples are your best bet. Reason (the sampler, not the drum machine) and battery have these kind of samplers, don't know the others.

How would a sampler handle varied dynamics? For instance, would you need different samples for hitting a snare hard and hitting it soft, or would it somehow vary the volume at which the same sample is played back?

ap said:
How would a sampler handle varied dynamics? For instance, would you need different samples for hitting a snare hard and hitting it soft, or would it somehow vary the volume at which the same sample is played back?

There are two ways of doing this that I know: one is using multilayered samples. The other one is unsing some kind of modulation and filtering.

The first is simply using different samples for different midi velocities. That's a great way of doing it, but you need bigger samples and a powerful sampler with a lot of memory. Think that if you're using 2 velocity zones you're using 2x the memory.

The second one is is simply using some of the synthesizer (sp?) principles to a sampler. In fact, I think many synths work this way, using sampled attacks and synthezised sustains.
For example, you can use a filter modulated by the midi velocity in a sampled snare drum. That way, when you hit it harder it'll sound brighter, just like what happens to the real thing.
Cheers, Andrés

Back