Drum samples w/ Cubase and Boss DR-660

DC-XPL

I relatively new to MIDI drums, but I've been enjoying some success and am looking for a way to augment my current setup. I'm using the DR-660 to create drum parts in Cubase and have them played back to the DR-660. In other words - the DR-660 is both the controller and the sound module. In Cubase, I use random velocity and timing to get a more realistic feel. When I'm happy with it, I use the individual outputs on the DR-660 to create seperate audio tracks for each drum sound. Add a little compression and EQ on the way out and I'm done - sounds better than expected.

But I'd like a little more variety to the drum sounds.
1. How can I use sample libraries to play back the drum sequence (instead of going through the DR-660)?
2. Would it still allow me to process the kit one drum at a time?
3. Any suggested libraries would be appreciated.

You have answered your own question.

DC-XPL said:
In other words - the DR-660 is both the controller and the sound module.

While you are bringing the midi output of Cubase thru the DR-660 you are limited to the sounds inside the machine. No samples can be triggered nor sound libraries come into play as the drum sounds available are those built into the DR-660.

You don't say if your computer interface has both midi and audio capabilities, but I'll assume it does. The audio outs of the computer interface are the key to using other drum samples, sample libraries, etc.

If you want to keep programming the drum parts on the DR-660, then transferring the midi data into the computer you can do that. But once the drum parts are in the computer, it opens up a world of possibilities for using other sounds as subsitute kick, snare, hh and so on.

"But once the drum parts are in the computer, it opens up a world of possibilities for using other sounds as subsitute kick, snare, hh and so on."

Yes - that's the question I meant to ask, but came out wrong! I'd use the DR-660 to compose the drum part. Now, once I have the drum part in my sequencer, how can I invoke sample libraries to play the parts (instead of the DR-660)? This is using Cubase VST 5.0 on Mac with a Gina 20 bit soundcard and Mini MacMan MIDI interface.

You need a VSTi sampler plugin or a drum synthesizer on the output of the track with the midi drum parts to get what you're looking for.

I've snooped around on your behalf here K-v-R, but don't know if you're running OS9 or OSX.

This is a GREAT source for all plugins - if they don't have it or know about it, it's probably not worth having or knowing about...

Thanks for the link ssscientist! BTW, I am still running OS9.

I started playing around with Native Instruments Battery. I was able to suss getting a few .wav samples into the program and have my MIDI drum part trigger the sample. I have to play around with mapping editor so that each individual instrument in the drum part (hh, snare, toms, etc) maps to a respective sample cell in Battery. But I think I'm on the right track now.

I see a whole bunch of sample libraries on ebay (ie, .wav samples taken from a DM5). I'm assuming that I'll be able to use stuff like this once I learn the Battery program.

Back