drum room

eyema_believer

Bondservant
Hello Everyone,

The next big studio upgrade will probably be a drum room.
How big does a drum room need to be in order to justify the expense?
How about dimensions?
What kind of ceiling height?
Ideas??
Thoughts?

Please, discuss!!

~Shawn

The Bigger The Better!!! well, usually

What are you working with room wise?

Right now, I have just a single room, 15x30, with an 8' ceiling. It's built in my pole barn, which is 65x35'. I'm thinking of building another room inside to record drums. Does thins answer you question?

~Shawn

Right now, I have just a single room, 15x30, with an 8' ceiling. It's built in my pole barn, which is 65x35'. I'm thinking of building another room inside to record drums. Does thins answer you question?

~Shawn
You could probably take up 10'x15' in the existing room, giving you a, roughly, 9'x14' interior room. Actually, would you want to build it inside the existing room or the rest of the barn?

You could probably take up 10'x15' in the existing room, giving you a, roughly, 9'x14' interior room. Actually, would you want to build it inside the existing room or the rest of the barn?

Not inside the existing room, outside in a portion of the barn.

Not inside the existing room, outside in a portion of the barn.
Ahh ok. Hmm that room is a little iffy. It's not as bad as a square room, i don't think, but rooms with multiples of the dimension(ie 15 and 30, and 8 is pretty close too) aren't great acoustically. You really want as big as possible for a tracking room, imo.

I have seen studios with a drum booth...whats up with that??? I thought it was better to have drums in a bigger room as well...which is why I thought it was strange to see a tiny little 8 X 10 or 10 X 12 drum booth...

I have seen studios with a drum booth...whats up with that??? I thought it was better to have drums in a bigger room as well...which is why I thought it was strange to see a tiny little 8 X 10 or 10 X 12 drum booth...

Usually, it's for when the whole band tracks at once.

For better isolation, and sometimes for a dead environment(it's easier/cheaper to treat a small room than a large room).

Wow, that's informative. And, a very reliable source, too.... Thanks!

Yes, but most other engineers go the complete opposite route. Wallace and Baresi come to mind. I guess it all boils down to the sound you like. Me personally, I think Wallace and Baresi's drums are fricken amazing. I don't know of a good drum album that Blake recorded/mixied - anybody have any suggestions? I'd really like to hear how they sound.

Yes, but most other engineers go the complete opposite route. Wallace and Baresi come to mind. I guess it all boils down to the sound you like. Me personally, I think Wallace and Baresi's drums are fricken amazing. I don't know of a good drum album that Blake recorded/mixied - anybody have any suggestions? I'd really like to hear how they sound.

I googled a discography of blake, and went to walmart.com and listened to snippets from their music site. I kinda liked Bonnie Raitt "souls alike" and Gomez's "split the difference"... but nothing to get all THAT excited about...
How about these fellows you mentions, wallace and baresi? Reccomended listens? Do they have first names?

I googled a discography of blake, and went to walmart.com and listened to snippets from their music site. I kinda liked Bonnie Raitt "souls alike" and Gomez's "split the difference"... but nothing to get all THAT excited about...
How about these fellows you mentions, wallace and baresi? Reccomended listens? Do they have first names?

Andy Wallace - Nevermind, Rage Against the Machine, Down with the Sickness, IOWA, etc, etc

Joe Barresi - 10,000 days, QOTSA, Clutch, etc, etc.

Andy Wallace is my all time favorite. The man is a friggen genius.

Back