Drum Reverb

jonrusso99

I dont have the best sounding room so I don't use room mics. Ive been using waves reverbs either the Truverb or Renaisance (is that spelling right). Since its hard to A/B between different setups, does anyone have any advice? Should I run the whole set through the reverb or maybe leave out the kick. Ive been using sends from each drum and pretty mild reverb settings since most of my stuff is hard rock I want it to sound tight and in your face but the snare could use a little wetness. Any suggestions on a standard setup?

Last edited:
Stock answer is whatever sounds good to you. I typically only apply reverb to the snare to help it cut through the mix a bit better; but that's just my preference.

When I listen to metal, like metallica and Pantera, it sounds like there is reverb on the toms, am I hearing this right?

Many commercially released mixes will have reverb on all of the drum tracks, even kick drums. This is primarily done with aux sends since snare and hi hat will probably want more reverb than kick drums. Also, having highend reverbs makes the whole reverb thing much more friendly and easier to use in more ways since really good verbs can be very transparent.

xstatic said:
Also, having highend reverbs makes the whole reverb thing much more friendly and easier to use in more ways since really good verbs can be very transparent.

Do you think the Waves Reverbs are good, Ive heard good things about them on this forum before. Is there any software reverb that blows it away?
Thanks for your help

I use and like the Waves Renn. Reverb. There are newer convolution reverbs that are supposed to be cool as well. Consider getting demo versions of a couple and trying them out.

For a short kind of room sound, one of those Waves verbs (the bigger looking of the 2) has a Studio A preset that works pretty well. If you are going for the Pantera thing, you would need a hall reverb to go with it. The hall would be more felt than heard, so keep it low. Remember, different types of drm sounds excite a reverb differently. The same reverb will sound completely different on 2 different kits.

I can almost always find something on even the cheap reverbs that I do like for at least some track. The waves reverbs sound OK to me for software reverbs, but they have a much higher CPU demand then they are worth in my opinion. Personally, the old TC native reverbs are pretty nice, and I like the Spinaudio roomvverb on many differnt things. The UAD Dreamverb and TC Powercore verbs are on a higher level than the others in my opinioin. My favorite though has been convolution reverbs. I compared a set of Eventide Eclipse convolutions the other day to my hardware Eclipse. Strikingly similar. The hardware one still sounded a little sweeter and deeper, but I have a feeling that a good part of that was due to the fact that it had to go through my console (which is a pretty nice console at that). The trick to a convolution reverb is to find some convolutions and to understand that changing parameters can really change the sound. They are still a little limtied in that aspect, but there are so many free convolutions out there that you should be able to find great presets without too much trouble that are usable as is 90% of the time.

Back