Drum Recording?

Guitar4life0000

I'm fairly new to recording, and I have a lot to ask about drum recording.

1. Do you/Can you set up the drums as a MIDI track on the computer so you can give your acoustic set different sounds?

2. What's a good bass drum mic?

3. Should you mic the cymbals? I've seen some venues mic only the toms, bass drum, hi hat, and snare, but I don't know if it's the same in a studio.

Thanks please help me out.

-Steve.

*Bump*

Just trying to get those who know to see this one...

But to answer #3: You place the mics on the toms, and a separate pair (referred to as overheads) to catch the cymbols.

I'm fairly new to recording, and I have a lot to ask about drum recording.

1. Do you/Can you set up the drums as a MIDI track on the computer so you can give your acoustic set different sounds?

2. What's a good bass drum mic?

3. Should you mic the cymbals? I've seen some venues mic only the toms, bass drum, hi hat, and snare, but I don't know if it's the same in a studio.

Thanks please help me out.

-Steve.

1 Yes. You can set up drums in MIDI, then load in different kirs (either with softsynths or with external modules). There is a way of converting an audio drum track to MIDI, but I haven't done this and don't know what to advise.

2 There are heaps of good kick drum mikes. Search this forum and you should find plenty of discussion on these.

3 There are many ways of miking a kit. Bass, snare, and a pair of overhead mikes to capture cymbals and toms is not a bad formula. Personally, I never mike the hi hat, because the snare mike picks up enough of this.

Back