Drum Recording - Noise Gates

drbabbers

All,

I have been learning theory about noise gates being applied to drum recordings. My question is does anyone have a recommendation on a decent gate plugin for my DAW (Reaper)?

Thanks.
D

Thanks Greg. I understand that this comes with Reaper. Do you have experience using it with drum recordings? Any recommendation on parts of the drum kit to apply the gating technique to?

D

I use it all the time.

Gates on drums is a personal choice. Some people like em, some don't. Some want all the bleed, some don't. I like to use gates on my toms because they ring and boom cuz that's how I like to tune them. Sometimes I'll use one on the snare if I don't like the hat bleed, but not always. It's up to you. You have to decide for yourself how and when to use a gate.

I'll check it out thank you Greg.

Do you have any recommendations on EQ and compressors for drums? Once again I have studied the theory, I just am curious to know recommendations on what plugin to use in a DAW. Do you use the ones within Reaper also?

I was looking at possibly trying out a plugin suite such as Waves to give me several options.

Thanks.
D

Do you have any recommendations on EQ and compressors for drums? D

Yup. Use what's necessary. Don't use what isn't necessary. That's about all I can tell you. Every player, room, drum, head, and mic is different. You're gonna have to experiment and find what works for you. Recording real drums is hard. You're not gonna nail it right away. It's gonna take time, tweaking, and lots of patience.

Start with the basics: Set up the mics properly, tune the drums well, and play well. Without those three things being in order, nothing else matters.

Yup. Use what's necessary. Don't use what isn't necessary. That's about all I can tell you. Every player, room, drum, head, and mic is different. You're gonna have to experiment and find what works for you. Recording real drums is hard. You're not gonna nail it right away. It's gonna take time, tweaking, and lots of patience.

Start with the basics: Set up the mics properly, tune the drums well, and play well. Without those three things being in order, nothing else matters.

Thanks for the pointers. Can you recommend specific EQs or compressors to use in a DAW? I am struggling to get a decent set of plugins, but it seems like the ones built into Reaper are pretty solid.

D

Back