drum recording input

shortness

scott swatzell
would love some input on the following recording (url below). just trying to my kit to sound 'decent' when recorded...this is new for me, only been doing this for about 6 months now (off and on)...have played w/mic placement, etc a fair amount (learned tons on this board!), but would love some input from some trained ears as to what more is needed or what needs to be taken away, etc...my setup follows...all mics run in to a board. direct out from board to soundcard (in one track...no i'm not recording individual waves and mixing...haven't made it there yet!). all drums are mic'd individually, overhead in x-y arrangement. oh and the snare is mic'd top and bottom. my snare is overdue for new head :( (sorry). also, put a little compression on the total wave (post recording). i think that covers the basic...thanks for you comments in advance!!

http://www.myspace.com/shortnessinms

I think its pretty dang good, especially as long as you've been at it!

I hear the middle tom's resonance more than the other two. It almost sounds like different heads or too much gain on the middle one. The other two have nice tone. The floor tom may be a little dead. Cymbals sound good and the snare is rippin'!

The only serious flaw to me is the kick. It sounds too tight. It also needs sharper attack. Try using a hard beater or a kickpad. You can also fatten the kick by recording with compression.

You should be proud! It only gets better from here!

PhilGood said:
I think its pretty dang good, especially as long as you've been at it!

I hear the middle tom's resonance more than the other two. It almost sounds like different heads or too much gain on the middle one. The other two have nice tone. The floor tom may be a little dead. Cymbals sound good and the snare is rippin'!

The only serious flaw to me is the kick. It sounds too tight. It also needs sharper attack. Try using a hard beater or a kickpad. You can also fatten the kick by recording with compression.

You should be proud! It only gets better from here!

it's interesting that you say that about the middle tom...my high tom has been the one that has been kind of aggravating to my ear...but, that is why i put it out there..other ears help! regarding the kick... funnything is i just tuned up yesterday and i totally agree...was going to tune back down but decided to lay that track down first. to tight for me too. i've got a kick pad and dw beaters (i'm using felt side...should i flip them? i've never tried that before). i've played around a tad w/the 4 band eq knobs on the bass channel a little. currently i don't have a compressor (on the list to buy though). snare is tuned about as good as i can get it, but gawd i've got pick up new head (top and bottom)!!

down the road i would really like to get something for getting separate track for all mics, but not in the budget right now. the mixers w/the firewire outs, etc. sure look right up my alley though.

It sounds good to me too. But I think the kick be cleaned up a little. What are the specs of the kit (brand, type of wood,ect)?

KAALEL said:
It sounds good to me too. But I think the kick be cleaned up a little. What are the specs of the kit (brand, type of wood,ect)?

thanks...taye (tourpro), basswood. 22 bass, 10, 12, 14 toms. 14x5 starclassic (birch) snare.

marknrox said:
Love the sound of your toms! What kind of heads do you use?

thanks...remo ambassadors...oh and i failed to mention about all, has a touch of reverb added prior on its way to the daw.

Yes, definately tune the kick down. Not to the point where it's flappy, but low. I use the hard side of my beaters and love it!! The snare sounds great! I like mine tight, although not that tight. The sound of the kick drum greatly improves with the right compression, so get one as soon as you can.

Don't try and separate the tracks. Believe me I've tried and the best lesson I got from a real pro is that all the mics should 'play nice' with each other. Separation is a myth. (although kick tunnels do wonders)

Phil

PhilGood said:
Yes, definately tune the kick down. Not to the point where it's flappy, but low. I use the hard side of my beaters and love it!! The snare sounds great! I like mine tight, although not that tight. The sound of the kick drum greatly improves with the right compression, so get one as soon as you can.

Don't try and separate the tracks. Believe me I've tried and the best lesson I got from a real pro is that all the mics should 'play nice' with each other. Separation is a myth. (although kick tunnels do wonders)

Phil

yeah, i used to play w/it dang near flappy...loved it, felt like i had better control too...but i didn't think it tranlated well to wav form...i love a tight snare too...although i love the sound of a looser one also, just don't like playing them lose...interesting that you say to avoid the separation...i read and hear so much about that...seems like it would just make things easier to enhance, etc?? my next rack purchase will be a RNC...phil,do you use any compression on your snare?

shortness said:
yeah, i used to play w/it dang near flappy...loved it, felt like i had better control too...but i didn't think it tranlated well to wav form...i love a tight snare too...although i love the sound of a looser one also, just don't like playing them lose...interesting that you say to avoid the separation...i read and hear so much about that...seems like it would just make things easier to enhance, etc?? my next rack purchase will be a RNC...phil,do you use any compression on your snare?

Yes, I do actually! I have a dual channel dbx and I set both sides the same. I run one to the insert on the snare channel and the other to the kick.

PhilGood said:
Yes, I do actually! I have a dual channel dbx and I set both sides the same. I run one to the insert on the snare channel and the other to the kick.

what model do you have?

Back