Drum overheads; compression?

Drumz519

So, I've got the kit mic'd up and all is sounding good (still waiting for a few more pres to cover mic up my toms). I did some test recording yesterday and I have the overheads positioned about 2 1/2 feet about the highest cymbal and set with the snare dead center. The problem is, I keep clipping a few rogue crashes or rim shots in the OHs. Do you guys typically run compression on your OHs and what would you recommend for settings? I'm very new to the use of compression (just starting to get a hold on the use of each parameter) and I'm trying not to overdo it.

Thanks!

What mics/pres are you using? Do either have a built in gain pad? If not, you may need to employ in-line pads.

The question is: what's clipping? If it's the mics then a compressor won't help; you'll either need to get a pad (per scrubs recommendation) or move the mics further back - or play lighter.

Compression is typically used after the preamp to help tame peaks or to tighten/change the sound. Make sure your gain stages are not clipping before using a compressor.

Nuemes is correct. You should not use a compressor to control clipping. If your mic or preamp has a -10dB or -20dB pad, then use this and adjust the gain so that there is no clipping.

Since you say you're new to this, there is a difference between having peaks and clipping/overloads. You never want to clip/overload anything in digital. This is one of the few rules that there are in audio production. 24-bit digital has tons of headroom so even if your very highest peak is nowhere near clipping it will sound fine.

Compressors can be used to control peaks. For example, you may have some snare hits that are louder than others but still not clipping anything. A compressor can be used to even out the snare hits in volume.

Deciding whether to use compressors on overheads is largely an artistic choice, IMO. Some people do this, others don't.

So set your gains and pads up so there is no clipping and THEN start playing with the compressor.

Okay, looks like what I need to do is employ my pads. I'm using the built-in pres on my M-Audio FW1814 interface for my overheads. I have a few accent crashes that clip but everything else is way low. I believe the pads available are -10db. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

chessrock said:
Not low enough, apparently.

Well, if the rest of my waveform is extremely low, but those spikes are cutting through and clipping, and my mics are well placed, then I think the pad is the key.

pathdoc said:
How about mic placement? I usually hang the overhead several feet away from the nearest cymbal.
That in combination with the fact that I want to get a good stereo image are major factors in how I placed the mics.

The pad is working well. Thanks!

Drumz519 said:
then I think the pad is the key.
A 10db pad is the same as turning the gain down by 10db.

It's hitting me as fairly odd that a crash would even come close to clipping an overhead mic without the snare constantly clipping it. It sounds like the drummer has some dynamics issues.

Remember that peaks of -12db are not too low. There is no real reason to be anywhere near 0dbfs.

Back