Drum mp3

Schloo

Hi. We dorked around in my basement and was wondering what people thought of the drum sound (not tempo, guitar, or my friend strangling himself and calling it "singing"). It is going to be a song about pudding for flappingcrane.com. I was using an Alesis 16SUSB board. They were mostly drunk, so I had to go back and replay the drum parts with some EQ.

Mics:
kick: ATM 25
toms: superlux ECO-06A
floor tom: Samson Q
OH: CAD C400S
Snare: Audio Techina handheld(?)

Peace & thanks!
Schloo
flappingcrane.com

Sounds ok, try and find someone on here with a similar set up and compare it with yours. If you're happy with it keep setting it up that way. If you don't, change it up. Not sure what you're looking for.

I'm not diggin' the snare or kick sound. It doesn't sound like a good sounding drum, again to me. Where are your mics positioned? I think we have a case of a bad snare and a bad snare mic, and even maybe bad positioning. Tell us how you've got your mics setup, and posibly we can go from there.

Rory

I can barely hear a kick. a little attack and that's it, no bottom. the snare sounds way too loud for the track. it's too dry too. you need some ambience on the snare. that's why it's just kind of floating out there on it's own.

on a side note, i really like the acoustic guitar sound. what can you tell me about that? what kind of guitar, processing, etc. tape, pc, etc.?

Thanks guys. I have to agree with kick and snare. I'll work on that situation. Travis, the acoustic was a __(this is the part where I AIM the guy who played it and he said "i don't know") and I mic'ed it with the superlux condenser into the Alesis USB board into my mac, which was running garageband at the time. I'm poor :)

Schloo said:
Thanks guys. I have to agree with kick and snare. I'll work on that situation. Travis, the acoustic was a __(this is the part where I AIM the guy who played it and he said "i don't know") and I mic'ed it with the superlux condenser into the Alesis USB board into my mac, which was running garageband at the time. I'm poor :)

I completely feel ya, :D

Snare sounds either dead or muffled, yet it's too loud. I'm not hearing enough slap on the kick. I don't like to EQ drums. To me it kills the punch.

What mics are you using and where? What skins and treatments are on the drums?

I have to confess right now, I lurk this board quite a bit, and absorb advice when I can. I know I am getting a 3 pack of Philgood's GLS mics when I get the pocket change. I am pretty sure this will help the snare situation. Any paricular reason you don't use EQ? I'm just asking because I'm rather green. I just remembered I forgot to remove the moon gel from the snare (and other toms). It's a picollo, so I should have no problem regaining that highness.

The mics:
Mics:
kick: ATM 25 (about 1" inside the hole, angled to the side (not right at beater)
toms: superlux ECO-06A place about 1 stick directly about the tom rack.
floor tom: Samson Q (close mic)
OH: CAD C400S (directly over center of kit)
Snare: Audio Techina handheld(?) (30 degree angle approx 2" inside snare)

Thanks guys!

Schloo said:
Any paricular reason you don't use EQ?

A quote from Simon Phillips. "Why can't I just put a mic on it and have it sound good?".

That was an eye opener for me. If you apply EQ it might sound good on the system you're mixing on, but take it to another stereo and play it and you might say "why doesn't it sound as good." You EQ'd it for the other system. If you let the mic do it's job it'll sound good no matter where you play it. You can do some minor correction, but never real more than 1dB or you start screwing it up to much.

The source should sound good, the mic should be good, the room should sound good and beyond that you don't have to do to much else.

Back