Drum mix... suggestion? (audio included)

jpfour23

Hey,

I'm interested to hear what some of you think of this mix. What do you like/don't like about it? What would you change?

Am just trying to educate myself a little.

Thanks,
Josh

MP3 Audio Track

I like the snare sound, but it sounds like it pulls to the left a little. The bass drum is kind of wooly, I'd have to hear it with a mix but i think it would get buried under distorted guitars. I like the floor tom.

I'll comment.

http://www.recordingproject.com/articles/article.php?article=5

This article made my first time mixing drums sound awesome.

As for your drums sound: The snare sounds thin...is it close-miked at all? If it is, it's being over powered by the snare in the overheads. Put more sizzle on those cymbals. Bass drum sounds muffled...it could be the bass drum tuning or mic placement. As far as EQ goes, it needs more emaphasis on the punch frequency and then a little emphasis at 2.5K to bring out the click of the beater. Not everyone will be listening to your mixes on high dollar sound systems; on cheap earbuds or boomboxes, the click of the bassdrum might be all they'll hear since they can't reproduce lower frequencies.

Nice article. I always read articles on recording drums and you always pick up something differently. In this case I hadnt tried the tricks the guy uses to seperate the bass guitar and kick drum.

Annoying how he doesn't show pics or tell us what mics he's using. I like the kick drum sound a lot.

Back