Drum mix opinions

sae

What are you opinions on this drum mix? Obviously you don't know the context with the song, but I want to know your thoughts anyway.

Note:
I also noticed that creating the mp3 introduced some really wierd artifacts (sounds lo-fi a little bit and blurry).

now for the link Click here

Without the context of a mix, it's really hard to judge.

The kick could use a little more body and perhaps some "click" for a harder rock tune. The snare lacks definition. The cymbals are just o.k. Kind of trashy sounding.

scrubs said:
The cymbals are just o.k. Kind of trashy sounding.

That is due to the the mp3. They sound better in the wave file. :rolleyes:

Any sugguestions on achieving a proper snare and kick sound?

sae said:
That is due to the the mp3. They sound better in the wave file. :rolleyes:

Any sugguestions on achieving a proper snare and kick sound?

What's your recording setup like (mics, placement, etc.)? Also, what kind of beater are you using on the kick? It sounds like you're recording hard rock. That music generally has a tight kick with lots of beater click and a snare sound with lots of "crack." Yours (kick) is kind of poofy, like classic rock. Not necessarily bad. Again, without hearing it in the context of a mix, it's impossible to say how well it would fit. Messing around with mic placement will help. There is a great tutorial on miking drums in the big sticky thread at the top of the mic forum.

Last edited:
I used an akg d112 on the kick just inside the sound hole. The beater was a plastic flat one (hope that makes sense). The kick was a 20" (maybe even 18") - very short and long.

I uploaded a new mp3, so let me know what you think about one.

Click here

Im just guessing here but i think your style is either kinda indie pop rock, or heavy rock. Dont ask me how i came up with that though! The kick doesnt have enough slap, the snare sounds maybe overprocessed or just quite strange and unnaturall. The toms sound nice.

ya, the style is a heavier rock sound but with singing (not screaming). That snare sound is pretty much natural (ie almost no processing, except some eq).

I don't know how to give the kick more snap.

sae said:
ya, the style is a heavier rock sound but with singing (not screaming). That snare sound is pretty much natural (ie almost no processing, except some eq).

I don't know how to give the kick more snap.
Just play about with the EQ for a bit, if you still cant get that snap then you might want to re record with a different drum or tune it differently.
A good recording will make it real easy to get a good snap especially with a plastic beater.

ecktronic said:
Just play about with the EQ for a bit, if you still cant get that snap then you might want to re record with a different drum or tune it differently.
A good recording will make it real easy to get a good snap especially with a plastic beater.

I would try these eq settings before rerecording...

On your Kick drum....suck out your 250-300hz freq's. i mean find the freq's in that range and hit them hard. cut them as far as your eq will let you. mine go to (-20db) maybe -15 for you.
then.... do the opposite to your sub bass freq's like 50-70hz. crank them till you find what your looking for. Your Q will be narrow im sure (meaning a low number like 2.5 or lower).

your cybols may have too much clang. maybe try cutting your eq at 5K and a little boost at 10-16k( i know that is a big range, but try it and find what will smooth them out a little). other wise you may find you really like them once the other instruments are in themix. im sure they will cut through the mix great, but when eqing the drumset as a whole you may find they are too dominant in your mix and may be too hard to cahnge without making the rest of kick suffer.

Like the others said, it may change once you add in the rest of the instuments.

good luck

thanks for those links.

i am also thinking about maybe trying to trigger a midi kick and/or snare. We'll see. :rolleyes:

Back