Drum mics

normington

I have SD pencil condensers for overheads, and some sm57s and 58s at my disposal. I can spend a little bit on buying 1 or two other mics, maybe a kick mic as im guessing the 57s won't work so well on bass?

Any ideas?

An SM57 can be used for kick, but it's not ideal.

Some decent kick mics to look at are are:

Shure Beta 52
AKG D112
Audix D6
Sennheiser e902

Personally, I use an Audix D6. It's a very 'shaped' microphone with a very distinct sound, but it works for what I do.

Sorry, I should have phrased my question better.
What I'm trying to find out is what types of mic I should buy to add to those I already have. Would SM57/8s do a good job on toms and snare? How about the hi-hat?

Thanks,
Andy

Sorry, I should have phrased my question better.
What I'm trying to find out is what types of mic I should buy to add to those I already have. Would SM57/8s do a good job on toms and snare? How about the hi-hat?

Let the overheads take care of the hi-hat. Use a 57 on snare; 57s or 58s should work reasonably on toms. Get a decent kick mic and you should be set. Just make sure you're getting a reasonable blend from your overheads by themselves and use the dynamics to add that extra bit of punch.

Let the overheads take care of the hi-hat. Use a 57 on snare; 57s or 58s should work reasonably on toms. Get a decent kick mic and you should be set. Just make sure you're getting a reasonable blend from your overheads by themselves and use the dynamics to add that extra bit of punch.

This about sums it up. Unless you're dying to spend more money, what you've got almost gets you there. Just get a decent kick. All of them mentioned here are worth looking at (listening to, that is). I happen to use a D112.

also consider getting a more versatile mic for kick (a mic that can also be used for much more than just kick)

beyer m88
shure sm7
ev re20
heil pr40

I agree with getting the kit thru your overheads. Sounds more natural to my ears. Then bring up your close mics to taste.

Oh...and I use a Beta 52. Very easy to place.

Cool, sounds good. Thanks for your help.

I'm looking at the cheapest Kick mics I can find for now.

Does anybody know anything about the Samson Q Kick? I know many people will just sneer at it automatically because of it's branding but anyone got anything constructive? From other reviews it seems surprisingly good...

Also, there's some Shure PG52's on eBay for very similar prices to the Samson, which is vast reduced from the RRP - are these likely to be fakes or good?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shure-PG52-Microphone-Kick-Drum-Mic-Bass-Beta52-NEW_W0QQitemZ280216452704QQihZ018QQcategoryZ41465QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122

Thanks,
Andy

Back