Drum Mics

malcolm123

Hello ALL,
I haven't had enough time to search the threads but mainly I have been recording for a while now. Most of the serious recording has been done with different instruments,, other than real drums. Anyways a while back one of the bands I work with ordered this all in one studio kit package thingy and it came with a drum mic kit. A Nady kit that I onced researched and based on the price back then I figured it was pretty cheap. I have never used the mic kit before but just recently I had a studio constructed and after most of the gear, snakes, etc were in place I figured I would record a practice session just to see how it sounds. I used the Nady kit for the drums also the band rehearses in the garage portion of the studio building which is pretty big. In summary,, the drums sound like crap. The only decent sounds I could get were from the kick and lower tom. Hi Hat Snare, cymbals just sucked. So I informed them that if they want to record seriously drum mics would be the first problem to try and fix. I have used many different mic types for live performances ,but for recording I have never really dealt with the drums before. So I need to purchase ( my own ) drum mics. I have some 57s and 58s for live which I havent tried on the drums for recording plus I use them for vox. What is a good approach to this in terms of buying mics strickly for drums. It does not have to be a kit. I figured I would pick up some MXL's nonmatched for overheads, but for snare, kick, toms Im just not sure. Budget is around 300 max.

my current mic selection that isnt being used at the time of recording is:

MXL 990
MXL V67g
SP B1
Berrghnger something (looks like a SP B1)
MXL v69m
Those Nady SDC's that came with the kit. (never used them before though)

Thanks
Malcolm

tight budget!!

I pesonally use 2x v67g mxl's for the overheads and I think they work really well. as long as they are facing striaght down on the cymbals 18 inches off your highest one, and you keep the mic's 5 feet apart (they seem to get out of faze when they are anywhere else).
The mismatch of mxl's might give you a unique sound sound for your overheads. I recorded with alot of different kick mic's and I think the best overall drum mic for the money (under $200) is the D-6. As far as your snare, you already have a sm57. for your room mic I would just use a good old fashion sm58 or sm57. This will give you a really good solid drum sound. If you have a pretty live room sometimes you will not have to mic the toms. If later you choose to do so sm57's are good for your high toms and a D-4(around a $100 on ebay) for your low tom.

i just used an mxl 990 pointed at the hat/splash and a 991 pointed at the ride/crash and it worked out very very nicely

When I was first getting serious about this, I collected a couple SM57's (Snare and Toms), a couple MXL603's (over-heads) and a Beta52A. I have had very good luck with this and still go to it from time to time. You can do without the tom mic(s) for getting started. The OH's will get you most of the sound and will sound great if properly located.

Since you already have a V67, a second could be used for the OH's. These will work quite nicely. You said that you have SM57/58's at your disposal, I would put them to the Snare and TOMs if you have enough to go around...the Snare for sure. Now for the kick...do some homework...I really like the Beta but others might recommend something else.

It really shouldn't take a whole locker full of mics to get a decent sound. It would be nice to mic every drum separately but it really shouldn't be necessary. Placement of the OH's will set the stage...additional snare and kick to be next priority...then the toms. Work the balance of sounds in the mix and get comfy with the gate and compressor. That's what works for me.

yea i pretty much gave up on the big open sound since i've been doing more fast chaotic music lately and i need tight drums. now i just make overheads 99% cymbals and everything else is close micced. i'll sometimes throw in a room mic out in front if i feel like i need more of an open sound or if i want to do some weird effects.

I use mxl 603`s as overheads, but I have tried the sp b1, and it sounded really cool.
for the kick I use b52, wich to me is very nice sounding, and I use shure sm57`s one the rest of the kit.

hope it helps.

Thanks

Today I will try the V67g for overheads for starters.

I wasnt sure about using a LDC because of the room, the PA, the rigsm etc.

It's pretty loud in there when they are practicing. with the PA using house and monitors as if they were on a real stage makes it pretty loud. I will also plexy the drums. I will post a pic of the room.

Malcolm

Back