Drum Mics

I have been using CAD drum mics for about 6 months now. Nothing but good sound for the price ($149 for kick and 3 snare/toms + mounting clamps+and a case!)

Of course if your not on a budget, that dual element Audio-Technica AE2500 looks mighty nice, of course the AKG D112 is always a good choice for kicks(no pun intended).

I actually had a 4 month acoustic drum trigger phase, it sounded too........poppish?

AS far as Cymbal and tom/snare mics, shure always has great shtuff. SM57's are my choice for HH and ride(could use them as tom and snares too!) and SM81's for cymbal overheads are my best bet.

well, it kinda depends on what sort of music you're recording and what sort of drum sound you're looking for.

I've got a couple of bands I'm in, and I'm recording demos for both bands at the moment with an eye towards recording 'for release' stuff in the very near future. One band is a 60's soul cover act; one is an all-original rootsy, twangy, alt-country combo.

I've been using Recorderman's 3 mic technique for drums (two MXL 603's as overheads, one $25 superlux 218A kickdrum mic about three inches outside the front kick port) Total cost: $225. I can't recommend this mic technique enough; do a search on the gearslutz.com BBS for a description if you're not familiar with it. (I got flamed for touting the superlux since I can't post mp3's of it yet and accused of being an idiot by people who haven't tried this mic, but check it out-for $25 you can't go wrong. Plenty punchy.)

If you find that you NEED a snare mic, a '57 is a standard choice: you can pick 'em up anywhere for $75-100 at most.

I've gotten flamed for it, but I HATE D-112's-however, they're a standard and you can get them for around $150 at most.

Chris

Back