Drum Microphones/ Set-up

dheh250

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a few questions I have before I make my first drum microphone purchase.

So basically I'm running a small home studio to record my drums for my post-hardcore band. The room is not huge but not small and is very well treated acoustically.

My question to you is what exactly would be the best overhead option for my sabian aax cymbals? i've been looking at shure 141's and sm 81's but I'm still torn on the subject. I want a really good and as close to professional sound as possible. Unfortunately I'm on a budget where I can only spend 300 - 500 dollars on each condenser microphone.

My other question to you is, with a good mixer would shure sm57's be a good mic choice to mic my snare and 2 toms? My goal is to get that really deep tone and sound from the toms and a real nice crack from the snare. I use a Gretsh black hawk fusion kit (cheap ass kit, I know) with aquarian power-dot heads, and I need to record a 14" snare, 12" and 14" toms. Are Sm57's the right choice for these three drums?

Finally, I seem very pleased with the sound of an audix-d6 bass drum mic and had no real problem with that choice but please if you know a possibly better mic with better clicky attack and punch than the audix has I would love to know.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Derek

First off, I'm gonna do some of the Vets here a favor by letting you know that "that professional sound" comes with years of experience, the right set of ears, a great band, playing on fantastic gear and capturing it in a great room with an awesome dude behind the glass. I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but its the honest to god truth.

But to help you out in your current situation:

57... fine on the snare, not everyone's favorite but it's a studio standard for a reason, many great records were done with this mic on the snare.

57...In my experience, not good for that deep tom sound as it has a low end roll off at around 250Hz, I would look at sennheiser 604's or even the audix i5 if you don't wanna spend the money, its like a 57 but with more low end.

Overheads...I would spend most of your budget here if possible, you want to use them to capture the kit as accurately as possible seeing as this will be a majority of your drum sound (although in a post hardcore band maybe not...either way don't skimp here) I can't make any recomendations because the mics I use as overheads are over 500 bucks and I haven't really used anything else, so I'm not gonna BS about how great the AT 450s or the M 160s are (I've heard good things though :cool: )

D6 should be good for the Kick sound you're after, assuming its that typical metal/hardcore clicky drum, although its usually mixed with triggers.

Hope this helps and good luck,
-Barrett

Back