drum micing: mixer vs. preamp

Barometer

Kind of a drum question but I thought it might fit better here. This also started in another thread about channel inserts, but I thought this deserved a new thread.

OK, I have a 6 mic setup to record my drums. Right now I can tear down our main board and input directly, then to my Delta 1010. Problem is I don't want to mess with the main board just to lay down my drum tracks. So I was looking at the Behringer MX2004A mixer thinking I could use the channel inserts to output the individual mic signals to the Delta. But I've been told I will loose mixing capabilities on the Behringer since there would be no return signal. Is this a problem? Would I be better off getting 3 Audio Buddy preamps or something similar. Or is there a better mixer in the same price range as the Behringer (around $200) to suit my pre mixing and preamp needs? Thanks :)

I'm not sure about the insert return issue. That sounds a bit wrong to me. If those are your choices than I would go with the audio buddies over the behr.

A Soundcraft M8 would be perfect.

I think you may have been referring to one of my replies which probably wasn't worded very well.

If you're using the mixer as a multi-channel pre, you can use the inserts to send the pre'd signal for each mic into your Delta.

When doing this, if you're using standard 1/4" cables, the mixer won't get a return signal back - it's sending a signal out, but not getting a return signal. If your only use for this mixer is for mic pre's and you'll be mixing in the computer, then it's pointless (IMO) to have the signal come back into the mixer - you're not going to use it.

If, however, you did want the signal back into the mixer for some other purpose (like outboard mixing), then you'd need "insert" cables, or 1/4" TRS cables with the tip & ring soldered together. This way, the signal goes out and comes back in at the same time.

There are many different ways to configure mixers - it all depends on how you want to use it. If you're going to be doing your mixes inside the computer via software, the above is what I'd recommend.

Thanks again Seanmorse, seems like that's the path I wan tto take, now I just have to find a mixer that's around $200 with at least 6 XLR inputs and line inserts (or line out for each channel) that's not a Behringer. Any suggestions? :)

I'm not sure how much the Soundcraft M-8 is, but I'm sure it's more than 200 bones. To fit that budget, you're probably best off going used. I was in the same boat and ended up with something from ebay, which I'm very happy with now. As an example, here's a SoundCraft Spirit Folio for $165
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=905641636

It really pays to do the research before you buy, to make sure it's going to do what you want it to do.

Just out of interest: Why don't you want to use the mainboard? I guess I don't really see why you would have to "mess" with it to record drums, or what "mess with" means. :)

Sorry regebro, I guess I should have elaborated. The main board is an EMX2000. So it's powered an better suited for live setups. There aren't enough ways for me to channel out of it so our channel setup for practice is guitar, bass, keys, vocals (mixed to one) and drums mixed to 2 stereo. That's what I would have to tear down in order to put my inputs in and get all the lines separated going into the computer. This is OK, but forces us to finish the drums before we can practice again. That's really my only concern. With my own mixer I could avoid at least that tear down and we could more easily switch from recording drum tracks to our practice setup. Hope this makes sense. I'm open for any suggestions though, this stuff is all new to me. I've only ever played live and unmiced until recently so this is a big step :)

Back