drum mic suggestions

shadowfax

hello all. I'm looking for ideas regarding drum mics. I currently use a D112 on the kick, SM57 on the snare, AKG C418s on the toms and mxl 603s as overheads. The drum sound I get is ok, but nothing special. You can hear it here: http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2467&alid=-1 if you like (the sound on the second song is better than the first.) What are some ways I can improve the sound im getting, short of getting a better room?

shadowfax said:
What are some ways I can improve the sound im getting, short of getting a better room?

Without even listening . . .

*Better drums
*Impecable tuning (and overall maintainance) of drums
*Improved technique -- Playing
*Improved technique -- Engineering/mixing

I like the guitar sound, by the way. Nice, inimate, upfront, etc. And interesting textures with the ultra-distorto tones. :D I like the forwardness and simplicity of the mix, too, by the way.

well my drums are actually pretty damn good. at least, they're as good as they're going to get for a long while, apart, maybe, from the snare, which i might replace soon. they're yamaha 20th anniversary recording customs.

that song, hcd, is played by my drum teacher.. he usually tunes the drums, and his technique is impeccable, but the sound still leaves some things to be desired. I, of course, have a ways to go, and I'm trying, but in the meantime I'm looking for some other solution.

as far as improved engineering technique, can you be more specific, having listened to the songs?

thanks for your feedback about the songs. you're the first person to ever compliment an aspect of my mixing =P

Well, I think I'd replace your Marshall MXL603S's with the Oktava MC-012's and put a thin towel/thick t-shirt over your snare or something until you get around to replacing it...... your snare does nothing for me. I like the songs tho.

I think your problem mainly stems from the drum's sound before you even place a mic on them.

The toms sound very flat and thuddy (not in a good deep way). The snare is quite boxy and the kick sounded extremely muffled to me.

Some of the crash parts really jump out and are a bit harsh (probably the 603s fault).

Spend some time with the drums getting them a little more "open". That set you said you had should be singing like a choir girl! New heads are an absolute must. And please no muffling...a set like that needs to breathe.

Good luck!

:)

Yo Shadowfax! Look at the signal chain from the beginning, and then examine each stage of it. Apparently your kit is OK, the guy playing it is OK, and they are well tuned. There is nothing wrong with the mics you have chosen. Therefore, I would look at other factors that you have not mentioned, namely: 1. The room itself- is it a properly prepared acoustic space? 2. mic placement.- Sometimes the best expense you can make is to bring in a good engineer with great ears to simply move mics around to dial in the great sound that is happening somewhere your mics aren't. Could be the best couple of hours you ever paid for.
3.- your preamps- what are these mics plugged into- Behringer mixer? Neve console? One thing I'm pretty sure about is that your mic choices are perfectly good for the applications they're being used for, and they are not your problem. Good luck-Richie

Back