drum mic set

Aaron_Kellogg

This question prob gets asked twice a week but I couldn't find it so here it goes.
I'm looking for a good drum mic set without spending a ton of money. I want to be able to do two overheads two toms a kick and the snare. i have a sm57 and an at3035. I would like to limit my spending to about the $500 range. Thanks for the help -Aaron

This question prob gets asked twice a week but I couldn't find it so here it goes.
I'm looking for a good drum mic set without spending a ton of money. I want to be able to do two overheads two toms a kick and the snare. i have a sm57 and an at3035. I would like to limit my spending to about the $500 range. Thanks for the help -Aaron

use sm57 on snare, get 2 Audix F-15's for overheads(79 bucks each on zzsounds), a D6 for kick(or D112, Shure Beta 52), and for toms...sennheiser e604's...unless someone suggest someonthing better..I've heard a lot of different mic ideas for toms. What i suggested should run you around the 500 area, maybe a bit more.

i pretty much agree with JPXTom..

my thoughts: a lot depends on what kind of drumming on what kind of drums in what kinds of condition with what kind of drummer .. but ... definitely pick up a D6 if you can.

Depending on how you have your two toms set up - if you have them placed close together or apart.. if together (and you have nicely tuned shells and single-ply heads and you are into that kinda stuff;) .. you know what i mean.. like you have a drum key in your pocket right now.. :cool:) then you may consider getting a really nice large diaphragm mic to center both solidly upon a single track, then get some decent overheads to get that stereo spread. If the drummer is just bashing away, be it on any kind of drums.. it doesn't hurt to stick with 57s and a D6 on the shells. Not to mention they are quite at home handling other hi spl tasks.

I bought the Shure mic kit, Beta 52 and 3 SM57's, very versatile mics...and you already have 1 sm57, you'd be good to go, there are alot of good choices out there.

What are you using as an interface and how many in's do you have?

right now I'm using a firewire410 by the time i purchase the drum mics and begin recording drums I should prob have either expanded w/ a m-audio octane or a motu 8pre or something in that vein. not entirely sure yet. I won't be using any high quality pre-amps for a while. (can't afford them)

Before you go out and spend money on mics and mounts for an entire kit, you should try fooling with the recorderman method for a bit. I find that I get wonderful sounds out of two overhead condensers. And, when I mix in a 57 on the snare it really rounds it out.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IiFOD1EeKhQ

I think there's a sticky on this post somewhere around here.

on your budget, i would pick up another 3035 - you can find them for around $100 used, and use those for the OH's

there you already have the OH's covered, and have $400 left

spend $200 on the D6/beta 52/D112, then snag 1 more 57 and an audix i5. use the 57's on the toms, and the i5 on snare.

of course there's a million possibilities, but that would give the potential for pretty good results, and would be within your budget.

Here's what I would do in your situation:

- Throw your AT-3035 out in front of your kick drum (between 6 - 12" and make sure your port isn't directly in front of it). Move it around to see where your sweet spot it. The key is getting a full bodied sound.

- Put your SM57 on the snare and get two more for your toms. These will just help get the initial crack and a little more well rounded sound than with your overheads alone.

- Get a pair of AKG Perception 150 mics for overheads ($129 each at MusiciansFriend). If you place these correctly, you should get a great overall sound from your kit, and then you can mix the other drums in depending on what you need.

Before you go out and spend money on mics and mounts for an entire kit, you should try fooling with the recorderman method for a bit. I find that I get wonderful sounds out of two overhead condensers. And, when I mix in a 57 on the snare it really rounds it out.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IiFOD1EeKhQ

I think there's a sticky on this post somewhere around here.

I use this technique as well and have great success with finally getting a drum sound I like without too much hassle or too many mics. On a budget with a non-perfect recording room, I like a pair of MXL 603S condensors with the stock cardoid pattern for overheads. With the recorderman technique and budget condensors, you can get some decent small-kit and jazzy sounds. If you need a bigger rock sound or play music driven more by the beat (hiphop, funk, dance, disco, etc.), you can add a kick drum and/or snare mic to emphasize attack and punch.

Back