Drum Mic Overhead Shootout (3 Mics)

KineticSound

The VOICE
Setup: I'm in a position where I'm just getting started on my space in the new house (after several years in a downtown loft), and I'm going to be able to track live drums again. However, most of my good drum mics are long gone, save for a handful of SM57's, a kick mic (AT Pro25), and an odd assortment of LDC and MDC mics that could be used for overheads.

The Layout: I've always liked tracking drums using the 4-mic method: Kick, Snare, Overhead above the rack tom looking down, and Overhead about 2-3 feet off the floor tom pointed toward the rack toms. I track jazz, fusion, etc., so this setup works well for me and leaves an open sound. For this test, only the kick mic and the rack tom overhead were recorded.

The Objective: Find my favorite overhead mic from the group so that I can purchase a second of the same model to put beyond the floor tom.

The Test & Disclaimer: I set up and tracked a few bars using four mics: The Pro25 kick mic 1" inside the hole in the kick drum, and the three overheads for the test lined up side-by-side above the rack tom pointed at where the rack tom and snare meet. The snare mic was turned off so that I could test the overheads only. I left the backing tracks in the mix to hear how the drums sat with everything else, however the drums are mixed much hotter than they would typically be (so you can hear the differences in the mics).

I won't say which is which, but one of these is a Shure KSM32, one is an AT2020, and one is an older AT3525. Which sample drum sound is your pick?

Attachments

• Drums Test 1.mp3
    715.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Drums Test 2.mp3
    715.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Drums Test 3.mp3
    715.4 KB · Views: 46
Hi,
I have no experience with any of these mics, but going on the assumption that the AT range mics have similarities (may not be the case), no.2 sounds like the odd one out to me.

No.2 sounds the least pronounced, or more natural, in the high end.
Focussing specifically on the hi-hat, it wears a little on my ears in no.1+no.3.

#3 is super bright, which isn't all that bad. But it's way brighter than #1 and #2. A bit too bright for me, but nothing some clever EQ couldn't fix. #1 and #2 and pretty similar, but I like the way the snare was captured in #1 the best. It has a certain crack and decay to it that I really like.

So my preference in order of most favorite to least favorite would be: #1 -> #2 -> #3

I would guess #1 is the KSM32, #2 is the AT3525, and #3 is the AT2020.

Thanks to you both.

Guitarplayr82, you are exactly correct. #1 is the Shure, #2 is the 3525, and #3 is the 2020.

Interesting that Steenamaroo felt that #2 was much different than the others... The 3525 (#2) has a markedly smaller capsule than the Shure and the 2020, which both have 1" diaphragms.

I'm in between the Shure and the 3525 - leaning toward the Shure because I think a matched set of them would be useful for so much more than just overheads.

Thanks again for your listens, gentlemen!

Interesting that Steenamaroo felt that #2 was much different than the others... The 3525 (#2) has a markedly smaller capsule than the Shure and the 2020, which both have 1" diaphragms.

That is interesting! I just looked up the 2020 and 3525 frequency graphs.
They don't seem to be all that different, but I guess the 3525 could be slightly more directional or something.

Back