drum mic kits

hardcore guy

what do you guys think would be a good drum mic kit to get for a low budget punk who's into dirty sounding diy recordings? i know the shure set is probably the way to go but i dont have money for that, i make pizzas. i've been looking at a 4 piece nady or audio technica kit. let me know what sucks and what doesn't.

I have a nady mic that i use for vocals and it's pretty good. I've have not heard the nady drum mic packs though. I was going to get the nady 7 peice drum mic kit for $200 but i bought a shure beta 52 for my kick for $189 and bowroaded a sm57 from my dad who has alot of P.A. equipment. Then i bought me 2 marshall mxl603s for my overheads for $159 (with cables @ www.8thstreetmusic.com) To here how that all sound listen to some of my demos.

The first song, "All for you", has the mics that i just told you about.

The second song, "Cometogther" has just 3 mics. Sm57 on snare, beta 52 on kick and a v-tech nd-series mic that i bought at a music store for $55

good luck.

zeke

Red 5 Audio

I have a Red 5 Audio mic kit and it sounds great to me. They're a very reasonable price and, as a modest home recorder, I must say that the drum sounds I'm getting down kick my arse...!

Red 5 Audio are here...

Do a search on the microphone forum about drum mic kits. You could find some good answers. And maybe those kits could be replaced with a wide selection of instrument and condenser mics.

hardcore guy said:
what do you guys think would be a good drum mic kit to get for a low budget punk who's into dirty sounding diy recordings? i know the shure set is probably the way to go but i dont have money for that, i make pizzas. i've been looking at a 4 piece nady or audio technica kit. let me know what sucks and what doesn't.

I have an AT kitpac...the kit is composed of 4 mics (2 snare/high tom; 2 kick/low tom) - the 'snare/high tom' mics sound like shit. the kick/low tom mics actually sound pretty decent. I've recently gotten an sm57 for my snare and when I A/B'd it against the AT snare mic - the 57 sounded light years better than the AT mic. so, I think that the kit is 'useable' - but not ideal. I used it for a couple of years and got some decent recordings..nothing spectacular - but they were useable.

the other problem with these kitpacs is that they don't come with condensers. to get a good drum recording, you're going to need some overheads....

Back