Drum Mic Kit

ratheaua

I am looking to buy some mics for a 4 tom drum with snare bass drum and one timbales..plus 1 ride and two crashes .

I'm looking either for drum mic kit and solo selected mic for a budget of 800 900$..can maybe goes to 1K but only if it is really worthy.

Would help me to find those best mic ? I Hear abotu sm57, shure beta 52 or D112, maybe some sennheiser 604 for tom ? and i really dontknow what over overhead (i have pg81)

thank you

+1 If you go used you could get a 57 a D112/Beta 52 and a very nice set of condensers for under 1K. If i was in your position I wouldn't want to mix 4 tom mics. When I record drums I cut the drummers kit to a four piece. That might not work for your style but if it can it will make your life easier.

Let's start here: how many mic inputs do you have on your interface? In other words, what is the largest number of mics you would be able to mic up your kit with at one time?

It's an odd one as i totally agree that 4 mic drum recordings often produce great results, and most of the time thats all i need in the mix. However, i suppose because i've got the luxury of having the inputs available, i normally bung an e604 on every tom just in case i need it when mixing. I usually work to the mantra of "i'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it".

A SM57 on snare, a D112/D6/Beta 52 or whatever on the kick, and a nice pair of condensers as OH's (like JG96 said) would be were my money would go. IF there's any money left over then an e604 or two won't hurt (i quite like them as tom mics) but i'd concentrate on getting the other 4 mics first.

I GOt 8 channel on my interface and I'll buy 8 other with motu 8 pre..so inputs are not the problems ! And I agree with all your propositions but i was wandering witch OH would be the ''best for the price''

Not bad - but if I were to put up money for a few SDC microphones and had the money I would go for the Shure KSM 137 or 141.

The Oktava MK012 isn't bad at all!

And as I always say ..... you can save half the money purchasing used.

I agree with moresound on buying used. I use SM81's at overheads and really like em. You could get a set used for around 400 bucks.

Back