Drum Mic Dilemma

sowpunk

Hey guys, not getting a great response in the microphone section so I thought I'd post here :)

Hey :)

I have a dillema at the moment when it comes to choosing drum mic's :(

I have $800AUD to spend and have the following two options.

Option 1:

Buy an Audix Fusion 7 peice mic kit
  • 1x F14 Kick Drum Mic
  • 1x F12 Floor Tom Mic
  • 2x F15 Overhead Mic's
  • 3x F10 Snare/Tom Mic's

For $450AUD leaving $350AUD for a headphone amp, cables and headphones etc effectivley activating my recording capabilities. The problem is I would need the mic's shipped in from the United States which would take a couple of weeks.

Option 2:

Buy a Shure DMK57-52 Drum Mic Kit
  • 1x Beta 52 Kick Mic
  • 3x SM-57's
  • 1x SM-57 I already own

For $635AUD leaving $165AUD for overheads. Delaying my recording abilities for at least a month (Holiday leave pay :)) and probably ending up with a less than great pair of overheads for the first couple of bands I record.

Should I go with the Audix kit or the Shure kit?

Thanks for the reply mate :)

I am kind of leaning towards the Shure because they're shipped local :) But using an SM-57 on a floor tom may be a bit difficult...

Never mind the kits. Get an Audix D6, use your 57 on snare, and get a couple of condensors for OH. SP B1's work well, are cheap (in the US, anyway) and work on a bunch of sources. Close micing a brazillion drums is usually counter-productive to a home recordist. You can get a great sound with 2-4 mics, no problem.

ermghoti said:
Never mind the kits. Get an Audix D6, use your 57 on snare, and get a couple of condensors for OH. SP B1's work well, are cheap (in the US, anyway) and work on a bunch of sources. Close micing a brazillion drums is usually counter-productive to a home recordist. You can get a great sound with 2-4 mics, no problem.

Agree....but a D6 (is awesome) or a D112 on the kick (depends on music), 57 on snare & a pair of 603s (MK012 even better) should do you just fine.

sowpunk said:
Hey guys, not getting a great response in the microphone section so I thought I'd post here :)

Hey :)

I have a dillema at the moment when it comes to choosing drum mic's :(

I have $800AUD to spend and have the following two options.

Option 1:

Buy an Audix Fusion 7 peice mic kit
  • 1x F14 Kick Drum Mic
  • 1x F12 Floor Tom Mic
  • 2x F15 Overhead Mic's
  • 3x F10 Snare/Tom Mic's

For $450AUD leaving $350AUD for a headphone amp, cables and headphones etc effectivley activating my recording capabilities. The problem is I would need the mic's shipped in from the United States which would take a couple of weeks.

Option 2:

Buy a Shure DMK57-52 Drum Mic Kit
  • 1x Beta 52 Kick Mic
  • 3x SM-57's
  • 1x SM-57 I already own

For $635AUD leaving $165AUD for overheads. Delaying my recording abilities for at least a month (Holiday leave pay :)) and probably ending up with a less than great pair of overheads for the first couple of bands I record.

Should I go with the Audix kit or the Shure kit?

go with option 2.

with shure sm57, you cant go wrong. Try finding them on EBAY. I bought my sm57s about $60-$70 each. You can save some major dough, going to Ebay some times.

I would probably go with the Shure mics. I have an Audix mic kit and was never too impressed with it. The F-15 condensors are decent but a little too brigh; I use em' on hi hats. The tom mics don't impress me much. I'd put 57s on my toms if I had more of them (if I ever really miked them to begin with). The Audix D6 is a kick ass mic though. It's probably my favorite on a kick drum. It has a very punchy quality to it that's suitable for rock.

if i were you .. i'd get a decent pair of matched overheads (maybe oktava mk-012's, or peluso cem6's (a little pricier)) then a kick, use your 57 on the snare and it should sound pretty sweet..

you should be able to get the oktavas and a d112 or similiar on e-bay for around $800 (though im not sure of the aus-us conversion)..

my 2c

Sow,

I gave you as good an answer as you'll get in the Mic forum and I see similar being said here.

As I see it, your main decision should be what o/heads can I afford.

:cool:

Thanks guys!

Getting good responses in both forums :)

If anyone has anymore lovely input hit us up in the Microphone forum ;)

Cheers guys!

Back