Drum mic clamps

Tapehead

Any advice on good drum mic clamps and where to get them. Also, pros and cons of these vs. mic stands?

Only use clamps if this is for live sound amplification. If you're planning to record then it is an absolute no-no to clamp the mics onto the drums. Mics are very sensitive to being moved, and when you have the mic attached to the drum, it's getting moved all the time. That noise is acceptable for live applications, but not for recording.

Clamps should be available at any local music store that has a drum or live sound section.

Bdrum said:
So are AKG 418s for live or do they make holders for them?

Don't entirely understand the question. The AKG 418's already have clamps on them for mounting to a drum. Basically, anything designed to be mounted to the drum is best used live rather than in the studio.

My personal favorite clamps are the Shure clamps. I don't remember the exact model #, but the metal Shure clamps seem to be the most flexible (as far as different types of angles and positioning and being able to clamp to both rims and stands) and by far the most durable. I believe they are about $30 a piece.

LP Claw
Gibraltar also makes a good drum mic clamp. Both are sturdy and hold their position very well.

If you're recording a pro album, then yes you don't want to use clamps in the studio. But if it's a demo or rough idea, then using clamps is perfectly acceptable.

Mic clamps are a pain in the a$$.

I cant find ones that work with tamas stupid ,but great tom mounting system.

Mic stands are great because they have numerous uses.

i have some K and M clips, theyre great and cost me 25 ozzie dollars each,
ialso i have some shure beta98's to, but on the smaller toms, clamps sometime takes away some resonance.

If you use Clamps make sure that they lock down tight!
Nothing worse than
if they move and touch the head :mad:
I have a AKG 418&419 they save on mic stand room and
are really sensative :D

I had the AKG 419s and they went to shit within 4 weeks, the cables shorted out. I got sick of repairing them and sold them off. I mostly use the shure A56d clamps, which work well on %90 of the kits out there. They're smaller than the LP claws and are too simple to break easily. I've also used the d-vice clamps, but the screws got knocked loose and lost in the shuffle. That sucked for me too.

Back