Drum machine

gasal69

Hello homestudiolovers!
I am ready to invest some money (not too much) in drum machine or something like that.

Can anyone recommend a good one? (For rock drums)
(please no any techno or hip hop-drums)

Does any of those machines work with WAV files.
I used midi-machines before and I didn’t like the sound.
I’m really having a hard time to make a good drum track for my songs.

I now about CD-s with complete drums, samplers and loops
but still can't decide where to invest the NOK (NOK = $ in Norwegian).

Last edited:
I second the Boss DR-770 suggestion, though many folks are going the sample/loop route these days. If you prefer to program it all yourself, having the Boss unit can be a boon as it is pretty versatile. Programming it is relatively easy, too. I've used that unit exclusively for years and can get it to sound pretty darn good in a mix. Of course, there are samples out there that sound even better. It's really up to you as to which way you'd like to go. I suggest borrowing a DR-770 if possible for a spell and trying it out, and then afterwards playing around with samples. It's all down to how you prefer to work and what feels right to you.

Hope this helps.

Bruce in Korea

hmmm...

I would reccomend fruity loops. you can make pretty good drum loops with it. You said you wanted to work woth wav files...it utilizes wav files for the triggered samples, plus other formats.

It doesnt sound "hip hop" if you bring in other short wav's of single drum hits and cymbal crashes...it'll sound as real as your samples. Plus, it does more than just function as a drum machine. I use it to drop synth sounds into my mixed wav files, and to tweak vocal trax. I highly reccomend it. It'll make drum trax, plus a whole lot more.

I use Softwaresampler and Drumsamples most of the time and it works great. The selection of samples then becomes the most important thing. Apart from single .wav files that are all around you might look at some already formatted Drum-libraries. You saying rock drums, you might be interested in 'Drums from Hell' or 'Stormdrums' both being more on the rock side of things.

Ah yes.... the selection of the software-sampler depends on which sequencer you are using, I personally run Kontakt and Halion.

For great, acoustic-style ROCK drums, I HIGHLY recommend the Zoom MRT-3B. In my opinion, there isn't any other reasonably priced hardware-based (i.e. not software) drum machine that can touch the sounds of that unit. Do a search on it and find what others say about it. The best part? It's $90.

I haven't used mine as much now that I've got Reason, but if I need a quick drum beat or loop, and I want to compose on the fly without firing up my PC, the thing is AWESOME. I have even used it for doing drums on demos, and you can get pretty real sounding drums by pulling hits off the beat just a tad in a software editing program (Acid, Pro Tools, etc.).

SEDstar,

Since you like FL could you awnser a few questions for me?

1. What do you use for a controller or input?

I only have a DR-5 for drums with MIDI out (only stereo out audio - no individual track outs) and bought FL thinking I could still program on the DR-5 and then tweak and seperate the tracks coming out of the PC (with Echo Darla 24/96) to my AW16G but I have not had any success getting FL to work with the DR-5 and FL has basically been useless for me for the last two years .

2. Conceputally what is the difference between writing drum parts on a drum machine versus working with loops?

I think some of my issues with FL besides not having a good up to date controller is I don't think I understand the concept of loops or writing with loops. Do you have any good links like "looping for dummies" LOL or a basic explanation?

I am also interested in purchasing a moderately priced drum machine (under $300). Can someone post clips of songs they recorded with either the DR-770, the MRT-3b, or something else that doesn't blow? I am interested in the drum machine sounds that Radiohead use on some of their tracks (not necessarily realistic sounding). I know Johnny Greenwood triggers alot of these with some ridiculously expensive analog system, but I can't afford all that.

gasal69 said:
Thanks guys!
I was being patient and waited for my chance. The boss is my now.
I just bought the first one which came to QXL auction in Norway.

http://my.qxl.no/accdb/ViewItem.asp?IDI=14044152&VH=1#gag

The price was 1500 Norwegian krones (about $225 USA).

I hope it'll do nice job.

If someone can come with some advices or hints please be my guest.

For a long time I wished I hadn't bought the 770. It sounded less realistic than the 550 Mk1 I'd had for years. Then I got into serious editing of the snares, kicks, toms and hi-hats. Now, I love it. For rock the 770 can sound very convincing.

Back